Author Topic: Rallies and our website  (Read 5727 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Rallies and our website
« on: March 13, 2009, 22:05:54 »
As most of you know, I navigate classic car rallies. Although I started off as a navigator in my own 1970 Pagoda, with someone else driving, last year I found a driver who I've since entered in 3 rallies with as a navigator. We drive a 1964 Alfa Romeo Gulia Sprint GT. Smaller, lighter and more agile than a Pagoda, even with only 1600 cc quite nimble. On the long stretches to and from rallies, a lot less comfortable though.

This year I will be participating in the 2009 version of the International Tulip Rallye, famous (in Europe at least) as a 6 day event which takes participants from somewhere in France / Italy all the way back to the Netherlands, Noordwijk. This year it is starting in Annecy. Because my regular "driver" couldn't make it I have a spare driver. We're driving a 1969 Alfa Romeo 1300 Spider Duetto Junior, and that for around 2500 km's.

The long and short of it is that as a result this website will be "unadministered" in the period of 2nd - 9th of May 2009. Now recently we have been faced with enough downtime for a year or so, so hopefully the site will be more stable then!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Rallies and our website
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 22:43:12 »
Good luck with your rally Peter. I am sure that the site will survive with out the grand master for a few days.

I actually used to own a 69 Alfa Spyder 1600cc with what I always thought was the most beautiful Pinafarina body and looking back, have a laugh at the rust problems that I always had with that car.  Fred Flintstone would have been proud of it. In the wet I got more water coming in from underneath than on top.
I would own one now but they are almost impossible to find here in a good unrestored condition due to past rust.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 23:21:11 »
Peter,

Best of luck for you in the rally. Looking at that Alfa, I can't say I'd find any thing that would keep me from going, especially considering the places you'll be driving through.

Regards,
Andres G

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:54:18 »
Reminder.... Admin will not be responding to your mails during the period 2 May - 10th of May as he's stuck in an Alfa Romeo, probably lost somewhere in Europe... You can check his blog to find out about his whereabouts!

After the board elections (if you are a full member remember to vote as soon as you've received your voting e-mails) I'll start training up someone as a backup admin!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 14:12:58 »
Peter,
Hope you have a great and safe rally.  No mishaps other than the small trivial ones, but no serious ones.
Take some pictures if you can and are permitted to.  I'd love to find where you have driven through and stayed overnight at. 
I've been to Annecy and it's a beautiful town on the end of a large lake.  Simply stunning, but not as stunning as Hallstatt in Austria.
If you are feeling a bit blue and miss your Pagoda, you can stick a photo of your Pagoda onto the dash of the Alfa.
Drive safe!
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 17:02:25 »
Here are the tulips. Now you watch the road book!!

Good Luck
naj
68 280SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 22:29:29 »
Here are the tulips. Now you watch the road book!!

Lovely shot, Naj!  So where exactly was it taken?

I do miss Keukenhof... wish I could be there right now.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:28:51 »
Waqas,

Picture taken on Mainau Island on Lake Konstanz in Germany last week.

Pagoda ran very well, all 1500 miles of it  ;D

naj
68 280SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:30:47 »
Here's a map of the approximate route of the Tulpenrally.. (we don't know exactly, as we'll get the roadbook each morning just before departure)

Dates and places:

Sunday 3 May: Annecy - France
Monday 4 May: Vals-les-Bains - France
Tuesday 5 May: Vichy - France
Wednesday 6 May: Beaune - France
Thursday 7 May: Pont-à-Mousson - France
Friday 8 May: Genk - Belgium
Saturday 9 May: Noordwijk - The Netherlands

Peter

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:33:27 by vanesp »

dhunter

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 20:29:51 »
From looking at the website there seems to be lots of interesting cars there, including a few Pagodas.
Even a 300SL there...that's laying your investment on the line!

Good luck and keep the rubber side down!

Regards, Doug