Author Topic: Please provide your valued opinions and critiques  (Read 4446 times)

ctm14

Please provide your valued opinions and critiques
« on: June 17, 2009, 22:11:50 »
Hello fellow forum members,

I am comparing the car listed in the link below to a local car.  I really like the looks of this car and am considering scheduling a pre purchase inspection.  I would appreciate your opinions and any critique you would be willing to provide.  The seller has provided a picture of the trunk floor and it looks good.  I would also like to know if anyone has a referral for an inspector in the Palm Beach area of Florida.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150352004257

Thank you
Chris
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 23:13:25 by ctm14 »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Please provide your valued opinions and critiques
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 23:35:37 »
Chris,
sure looks like a real nice car. Be sure to ask for documentation on the engine and transmission rebuilt - what does "complete" mean and who did it?  How bad was it, what was replaced, etc.?  Make sure you get some proof that the engine pictured is what is in your car.  Somehow these pix look quite different and especially the one showing the fuel pump.
Mileage documentation?
Can't help you with a referral in Palm Beach since I am in your neck of the woods.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

domimax

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:37:54 »
Chris, I can help with a very good inspector. PM me, David

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:46:12 »
David,
how did your search for a Pagoda turn out? Were you lucky and found one?
Just curious ...
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

peterm

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 13:22:40 »
That looks like a pretty nice car- they did quite a bit of work and seem to have sorted things out nicely-  no pics or mention of tools spare etc likley they are ok but can be a pain to obtain post purchase. Other things like dash wood aren't illustrated - judging by the tray I suspect they're ok but not a big deal to fix post purchase.  It would be VERY expensive to bring a driver to that level of rebuild and many cars that sell for multiples of the current bid dont look that good. Im sure there are things to pick apart- the problem will be if you plan to show or drive.  That is a car that will lose its show edge if you use it.  Potential to stay a garage queen is there,  if you want to use it you may wind up overpaying, that to me is a show car.

domimax

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 13:58:19 »
David,
how did your search for a Pagoda turn out? Were you lucky and found one?
Just curious ...

66and Blue,

Please look at the thread i started just below this one. What do you think? Thanks, David

Tom Colitt

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 19:06:33 »
Hi Chris

The car looks quite decent from the pictures. I can't see enough detail in the trunk floor picture other than it's been re-painted, but appears to have (had) little rust. Of course, the rust issue is the most obvious/ important thing to look at in a Florida car...

Regards, Tom

ctm14

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 23:17:46 »
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your feedback on this car.  I had a PPI done this morning by Phil Bolton.  The inspection revealed a very top notch body, interior, and zero sign of any previous rust.  The previous owner who did the restore spent an extensive amount of time and money on restoring the body and adding a restored engine.  The inspection revealed less effort was put into the drive train and components aft of the engine compartment.  Phil discovered a leaky transmission, a vacuum issue with the a/c causing the idle to spike and issues with the brake booster pump also impacting engine idling.  The vehicle is also suspected to need a valve adjustment.  We were unable to locate any engine block numbers which may be accurate but with zero documentation of the restore this raised concern.  At this point with the repairs necessary being estimated to approach or exceed 5K I decided to continue my search.  I just wanted to provide this information should any other forum member be considering this auction.  I am not sure where the auction will end but with the repairs and the need for me to transport from FL to CA the dollars didn't make sense in my situation.

Thanks