Author Topic: Heat exchanger questions  (Read 19929 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Heat exchanger questions
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 00:32:44 »
Chan, the answer is somewhat complicated. I used a brush for the POR-15 on the heater pipes and heat exchanger. I then sprayed on a couple coats of rustoleum satin black. Came out just fine.

Most of the other pieces were sprayed with POR-15 (many thanks to Phil Auldridge) and then sprayed with "chassis black" supplied by the same company. I re-sprayed these parts with another coat of rustoleum satin black. The power steering pump pulley was brushed with POR-15 and then sprayed with "chassis black".

Not shown in the picture is the radiator, which also came out nicely.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 17:45:43 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

graphic66

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 07:28:15 »
The POR 15 I used required a "tye" coat after the POR 15 and before finished color. It is to slippery to let regular paint adhere properly. My tye coat came from POR15 and was a flat light blue color.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 17:47:58 »
So, anyone have ideas on torque settings for the oil lines to and from the heat exchanger?

What about the fittings that screw into the oil filter housing?

I plan to use anti-sieze on all these threads. They were all so tight coming loose, had to heat up some of them in order to loosen.

Any info is much appreciated!

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 09:25:35 »
Was installing heat exchanger tonight and discovered the @#$%ing mounting brackets had been soldered with incorrect spacing!  Aargghh!
I should have tested it out before prepping and painting (3 coats!) the damn thing.

Anyway, word of caution for other novices out there: take lots of measurements before having a radiator shop take this thing apart.

I ended up removing the motor mount studs entering the engine block and positioning the heat exchanger such that the rigid lines fit just about right. (with suitable filler wood pieces to emulate the mount arm thickness). It appears that only one of the brackets will need to be removed and repositioned correctly.

Back to the rad shop tomorrow to have them fix it. Looks like all the fates are conspiring to keep me from driving to PUB ...  >:(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:27:33 by waqas »

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:34 »
Sheese, sorry to hear that Waqas. 
First Awolff, now you...   I think I will step away from my 113 for a bit, since things seem to happen in 3's.
Hopefully you can get fixed up without too much more trouble.   
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 01:25:11 »
Just to wrap up the thread, I had the radiator shop adjust the placement of the heat exchanger mounts to match the motor mount arm perfectly (also the location of the hard line fittings). The weld seams for the mounting arms are independent of the main weld seam that runs around the perimeter of the exchanger.

No leaks or problems yet! (knock on wood)  :)