Author Topic: Help Fuel Evaporative Tank Connections-PICTURES INCLUDED  (Read 5802 times)

forrestjordan

Help Fuel Evaporative Tank Connections-PICTURES INCLUDED
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:52:47 »
Help Please---I have to replace the original emission tank in my trunk as it has a crack in the bottom and is leaking into the trunk.  The problem is that the original has no clamps but looks like they were heat mounted to the other hoses, etc.  I am trying to keep in original period with all my connections and clamps, etc.  Does anyone have any experience with replacing them and suggestions on how to??
Forrest
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:09:36 by 280SL71 »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Need help with fuel evaporative control tank connections
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 13:49:25 »
Forrest,

I think you might have to tell us which car you have as I think these are different.

The original on my 280SL had brass tube studs in which fuel line ran from two similar stubs on the fuel tank by where the filler tube goes into the tank.  The third stub on the evaporative tank goes to "drain" so to speak, the funny bell shaped tube out by the exhaust.

The replacement tanks had the tubing made in one piece.

If I am not mistaken there are differences in model years.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Kayvan

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 19:53:37 »
Search on: Trunk Fumes, Fuel Fumes, Trunk Fuel Canister.....many threads addressing those issues with pics, corrections, DIY....sounds like you have the later version

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 21:00:18 »
I have a 1970 280SL that I also replaced the evaporative tank.  The new part is different in that it is all plastic, including the lines and is a one piece unit.  What I did is cut the plastic lines about 30 mm from tank, and re-fitted my aluminum tubes to the new tank with original clamps.  Looks like the original now.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

forrestjordan

This is a 1970, 280sl.  You can see the new tank and the old tank.  On the old tank, you can see a "splice" in the upper right corner, by the guage.  I don/t know if that is original or was done by the original owner.  I can't see any other clamps, just molded plastic to molded plastic.  I can't think of why only that one would be like that.  I would like to keep the connections as period/original as possible.   
I haven't taken the gas tank off to see how those were done yet.  I will research as Kayvan suggested, everything I have researched on this site has been a great help.  This is the greatest site ever!!!!!

mdsalemi-I can/t picture where the brass tubes and Bob said he had aluminum tubes with the 1970.  Do you guys have pictures?
Forrest

bpossel

Here are a couple of pics that may help...

I replaced my plastic tank before I did my resto last year.  It was one of those weekend jobs to try and reduce the gas smell in the trunk.  Smell gone after the new tank was installed!

I used heat (a heat gun) to connect the top tube to the round "guage".  Slightly heated the tube and inserted it over the ribbed metal fitting. I also replaced the main plastic line all the way to the front of the engine.  Used heat to connect the front tube over the ribbed metal fitting at this point also.
The other 2 lines on the plastic tank connect to the gas tank itself.  Remove the filler cover in the trunk, located by the spare tire.  Connect these 2 plastic lines to the gas tank with small rubber hoses and small clamps.
Bob

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:00:47 by bpossel »

forrestjordan

Thanks all, I will start on the project this three day weekend and let you know when (if  ::) ) I finish.
Forrest