Author Topic: Need Help Restoring a 1969 SL US specs  (Read 5009 times)

golfer

Need Help Restoring a 1969 SL US specs
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:10:48 »
I bought what seemed to be a beautiful 280SL off EBay. I live in Dubai, & by the time I received the car, I discovered the disaster I got myself into for US$45k  :(
My options were to either scrap the car or take up the challenge of properly restoring it, and I chose the later.  :)

I am about to embark on a challenging journey in uncharted waters as far as I am concerned & will be seeking lots of technical advises and help to source parts.

This has always been my dream car & I worked very hard to become a proud Pagoda owner, c'est la vie.

Can I count on some fellow members please  :) :) :)

Thanks in advance

Golfer
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:58:44 by golfer »

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Need Help Restoring a 1969 SL US specs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:08:36 »
What kind of help do you need? Mechanical? Cosmetic?  There are a lot of topics in the technical part of the web site.  everyone has given help when I have asked.  I'm sure you will find some very good help here.
Brad
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

golfer

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:00 »
Thanks Brad for the encouraging remarks.

Honestly speaking I do not know where to start The car has signs of rust, the engine is running but the clutch is on the floor, the interior needs a lot of work. But I would leave the interior for now and focus on body and engine.

The help I am seeking if somebody went through a DIY similar experience, I am a mechanical engineer but never restored a car before.

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:41 »
As a starter, to get the clutch pedal off the floor so you can shift:

Check to see that there is fluid in the Clutch Fluid Reservoir in the engine compartment. The Reservoir sits just behind the Brake Power Booster. The Reservoir is small plastic container with a black cap. The fluid for the clutch is brake fluid. You can add some brake fluid to the container. (Brake fluid can ruin paint so be careful of spills.)

When the fluid level is ok, you can manually push and pull the clutch pedal up and down. This will activate the Clutch Master Cylinder which is attached to and behind the clutch pedal. If the Master cylinder is Ok and if the Slave Cylinder (under the car next toi the transmission housing) is OK, the pedal should stay up as fluid fills the system.

If the Clutch Save Cylinder is leaking, the fluid level will slowly drop and the pedal will fall again. You will see brake fluid under the car below the Slave Cylinder location. A leaking cylinder must be replaced. It is also possible that the the Master Cylinder leaks (on to the car floor) or the inside rubber parts have dried and the Master might have to be replaced.

If the clutch pedal stays up, you should be able to shift if all else is OK with the clutch.

You will want to read the Tech Manual and messages on this web site about the issues you work on. Maybe a good idea to get a book (ebay or a used book dealer) such as the Haynes repair manual for your car.  There is a page of Publications on this website that might help you find what  you need.

Richard M, NYC 
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

golfer

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 16:08:30 »
Thanks Richard for the great tips. The car is up and running and will be heading tomorrow to the body workshop.

BEST Regards :)

johnm

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, NS, Lawrencetown
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 16:03:33 »
 Just so you don't feel like your alone I am in a similar situation here in Canada. Just took delivery of a 1970 280SL with only some photos as reference. The car arrived a couple of weeks ago andI've been stripping it down and there's lots of rust. Also a very poor body job allowed me to retrieve an anchor's worth of body fill from the fenders and quarter panels. I'm in the process of ordering new body panels now but it's going to be a long journey. Luckily there are some very good sources for parts here in North America. Good luck with your project!
1970 280SL
1966 250S

abe280SL

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 03:53:29 »
We are all too trusting.   I went through the same thing on a 73BMW 3.0 CSI E9 from a guy who was a regular long term poster on the E9coupe site.  When the car arrived I was so disgusted that the car was hauled away to a restoration shop within days....I could not stand to look at the car and felt foolish the way I was  taken.  I should have known better.  I finally got my car back two months ago and the sour memories are finally fading away.  My coments doesn't help your restoration...but hopefully you can feel a little better knowing that you are not alone. Next time inspect or pay for an inspection.  Let this be a lesson to all.  The guy who sold me the car sounded soooo trusting...what a fool I was.

good luck
abe
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:03:41 by abe280SL »

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:30:40 »
So sorry to hear about that - 45k is a lot of money. But if one is to look at this from an optimistic perspective, it gives you the chance to build the car exactly the way you want it in terms of body, interior colour etc. It is also my experience, that the emotional attachment to your car will increase after getting your fingers dirty. Wish you the best of luck and a great weekend.

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper