Author Topic: Transmission Issues  (Read 3493 times)

jafetica888

Transmission Issues
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:45:01 »
The transition (Automatic) on my 69 280SL is acting up pretty badly, when I had the car overhault two years ago the mechanic told me it will need to be rebuild sooner or later and the time is near. Very rocky shifts, rough driving when she is cold etc.

So - after 40 years and 70,000 miles not a surprise, 'just' an expense.

Do you guys have any experience/estimate on the cost for doing this and what is the best way to go about it. Should I go to the local Mercedes store (sounds expensive), to a local transmission place or would you have any options that make more sense.

What is the approximate cost for doing this - any idea anyone?

Tks for your help

glenn

Re: Transmission Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 14:40:30 »
Check out Jim V's quest for tranny control items---venturi s/w, vacuum, three way solenoid, kick down, etc, etc,   Sounds more like a control issue than a worn-out tranny. ..

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 15:03:39 »
Hello glenn,

The first thing I would do is remove the pan and check for clutch debris or metal in the pan. Some trace metal specs found is normal. Larger amounts of metal or clutch material clogging the filter intake is not. Change the filter and fluid in the transmission and the converter. Re-torque the valve body when the filter is out (small 10 mm bots, sometimes the valve body loosens with age causing an internal loss of presssure).

Next make sure the throttle valve switch and all the engine linkages are correct. Next make sure that the linkages on the transmission are free and that the three position solenoid is working properly. Lastly you may want to have the modulator pressure checked if you can find someone in your area who knows how to do it. We have some info here on this site. It is a bit of work.

Next, there is a well know indedpendant re-builder on that is quite good and affordable.  The information is on this site somewhere. The guarantee and bench test all the units and offer good information on installation and adjustments.

Lastly you may consider a good used unit with a history.  They were used on a lot of sedans of the era and are still around. Savings could be considerable but some risks. Some vendors on this site may have them laying around.

I am not sure what MB factory re-conditioned units are going for these days it's nice to have options.

Help your technician get all the improtant information on installation and adjustment, or even new expensive parts will do you no good!

Good Luck,

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jafetica888

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 18:52:42 »
do you guys have any idea how much a rebuild transmission with installation would cost (or what would be a fair price to rebuild the one that I have)? Any range?