Author Topic: ....why don't I leave things alone ?  (Read 3464 times)

Witt

....why don't I leave things alone ?
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:32:09 »
.....now I done it ! In a previous post I mentioned that my Pagoda is running fine but way to rich. Following the advise in the Technical Manual I checked and adjusted the FI linkage.
I followed the instructions to the T and after correcting a few misalignment's I got to start and idle the motor just fine. But whenever I shift into drive, it's a US model automatic, she dies.

As I understand it, the "Venturi Vacuum control idle governor" ( Dashpot?) is opening the ventury a bit to stabilise the idle when shifting into drive. The "slip joint" linkage prevents the Injection pump rod to be activated at the same time ?! 

I can't get it to work and it's driving me up the wall.......It was working fine before I started fiddling, what am I doing wrong?
Any helpfull advise would be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS ! ???
WITT !

PS: I have a strong suspicion that the linkage was adjusted in such a way as to have the pump and ventury open a crack to make it idle and operate, before I touched it. According to the manual that is a no, no !?

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: ....why don't I leave things alone ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:37:13 »
Hello Witt,

I always try to do final idle adjustments with the car in gear (foot on brake).  Understand that when the slip joint is moved ,only air is increased to the engine. So if the engine dies you are experiencing a very lean mixture. Try richechening the idle thumb screw on the injection pump three turns rich.  Make sure you do not have any other issues going on with tuning before mixture adjustments.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Witt

Re: ....why don't I leave things alone ?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:43:37 »
EUREKA.......BY GEORGE, I GOT IT.....
Thank you for your advise, it encouraged me to keep on digging. Here is what I found:

The slippery slope, er venturi control rod worked fine, but by opening the butterfly valve to far it made the engine stall as soon as I shifted into drive. So, I played with the adjustment on the dashpot  plunger and voila, it works. I also put some tension on on the small center rod that attaches to the bracket that also accommodates the long rod disappearing under the intake manifold. That probably put some tension on the pump rod, which is forbidden, but works.....

The idle RPM are now as follows: When in neutral or park: 750 to 800 RPM, In gear: 600 to 650 RPM which is a bit lower than I would like but I am going to leave it alone now and enjoy the car.

CHEERS !
WITT ! :)