Author Topic: Leakage from Number 1 and 5 firing order Injectors  (Read 3560 times)

Leah

Leakage from Number 1 and 5 firing order Injectors
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:17:40 »
 ??? It is not serious it is just weeping from number 1 and more so from number 5 injectors ( firing order ) after new Head and was placed on to the Engine.

I tasted the liquid; the taste is: OILY............also the Cam cover seems to be weeping on that side as it has a wet look.

Do I just screw them in a bit more; as the work was done by a  UN professional mechanic; who was also responsible for the crankshaft leakage too !

Before my warranty runs out I want to TEST the restored Engine for in correct workmanship what are the test that can be done PLEASE

Advice please,

Thank you Leah.

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
Re: Leakage from Number 1 and 5 firing order Injectors
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:38 »
There's a seal ring that's supposed to go under the injector, as I recall. There is also a torque specified. Careful! the tread is cut into the head and is soft aluminum. If you are not careful you can strip the thread or double-thread it. Maybe the apparent leak is from the the valve cover, because the gasket is not seated properly. There was a design change in the shape of the valve cover where it goes over the gasket. Look it up in the book. Don't force things! It seals just fine when you do it right! Is there some dirt or a chip under the valve cover gasket? Just because a proper mechanic did the work, it may not be done entirely right. "Not his car"
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:01:46 »
Leaks are leaks - you find them and fix them if you can. The ones at the top of the engine are generally easier to fix than ones around the bottom. I have over 30 years at this and I put things together that sometimes leak. It comes down to care and ability but even then think can go together wrong. It happens all the time, every day in even the best shops. Most get fixed without issue but some are very difficult to find, fix and stop. I wouldn't pull an engine just to change a rear main seal unless it was leaking badly. The repair has to make sense money wise.

I suppose you might want to havve the compression tested. Valves set, and head bolts checked. Basically, a sort of tune up.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Leah

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 17:02:55 »
      :) Thank you for your advice on this issue: BenzDr and TheEngineer

This is the same mechanic who did the crankshaft seal 4 times wrong.

On instruction from Joe Alexander I was able to force this mechanic to stop all the leaks.

For good Thank you again Joe; your really are a LEGEND

If I told you all the bad things this mechanic did to my Pagoda you would all cry.

We are taking Legal action both commercial and criminal against him.

You all so helpful I am totally wrapped. Leah

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 17:09:41 by Leah »