Author Topic: Drive Line grown On hard Acceleration  (Read 3538 times)

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Drive Line grown On hard Acceleration
« on: February 06, 2010, 13:39:56 »
I have a drive line noise on hard acceleration in first gear and would like a second opinion.  In the past, I have replaced the U-joint, center bearing and flex disk (seven or so years ago).  I did the work myself and did not have the drive shaft balanced.  The noise is more of a grown than a mechanical sound.  Maybe something rubbing on the drive shaft.

My question is whether this could be a bearing in the transmission or the rear end or is it most likely a flex disk/centering cross/center bearing issue.
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Drive Line grown On hard Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 14:51:25 »
Hi Jim,

These kinds of problems can sometimes be quite elusive...I remember having an ignition "break-up" problem on a car once that was only "under load" so while in the service bay at the dealer they couldn't find it.  Finally I insisted that the mechanic and service manager accompany me on a test drive (goodness they hate that, really!).  Turned out to be the wire set, which statically, and even under high-rpm in neutral (no load) tested fine.

Anyway, if you run out of ideas, you might see if there is anyone with a local dyno.  (Plenty of them around these parts.  ;)) Then you can put the car on the dyno, simulate load conditions and poke around the car with your ears or even a stethoscope if need be, and probably do a better job of pinpointing the noise than when you are driving it in the real world.

Before that, take a wrench to everything.  I also had a groaning once upon starting and stopping that nobody could find, until one mechanic started tightening everything underneath (or at least testing the tightness with a wrench).  He found that the sway bar clamps were loose, but not obviously so; just a little bit.

Don't be alarmed; I've discovered all too often on my car that diagnosis of the problem is infinitely more expensive and time consuming than the fix.  Good luck and report back!

(N.B.  My wife is particularly sensitive to noises in her cars.  Some of her cars go into the labs at Ford (when she's had enough!), on the shake and rattle machine, and or in the hands of engineers who ferret out these things.  It isn't easy work.  Driving with her in the car when there is a noise is strange, as she is forever pressing various panels to try and isolate these things...)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 17:12:06 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 16:02:34 »
Mike, my wife is the same way. It's like riding with a human stethoscope.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

abe280SL

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 17:16:52 »
My wife too...sensitive to noise.  However, my 280sl starts making a vibration at about 70mph and that stimulates her and she just loves it.  BTW, its true.....I am just afraid when I find the cause of the vibration (probably wheels) she's going to want me to get rid of the car.
abe

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 19:30:56 »
Have you looked at the slip nut on the drive shaft and its relationship to the flex disk.  Needs to be done with the weight of the car on its wheels.  I tired to set it so that the flex disk bulged out a little at the top and in a little on the bottom.  I hope this makes sense.  Too much pressure on the flex disk either way could cause noise.

I too did the center bearing and donut replacement.  At the time I didn't think about indexing the sections for balance.  I have no noise or vibration at any speed.