Author Topic: Steering Idler Bush Removal  (Read 3958 times)

DavidBrough

Steering Idler Bush Removal
« on: February 06, 2010, 18:51:45 »
I'm in the process of stripping my car and have reached the last two items one of which is the steering idler bushes. I've removed the inner parts but just wanted to check on the best way to remove what seems like rubberised bushes in the top and bottom of the idler retainer. I've seen from previous posts that these should be cut out with a hacksaw on the 230 but understand that the 280 ones are a bit different. Does anyone know if the 280 bushes should be cut out or will they drift out. I've already broken off the the top part after trying the hammer approach and decided its best to take advice now.

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Steering Idler Bush Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 22:18:33 »
David ... I have done them on a 230SL.  The bronze bushing press out; I used a piece of all-thread and a socket that would just fit into the top and a large socket that I could pull the bushing into.  It came out relatively easily.  I did the reverse to install the new bushing.  After installing the new bushing, you  will need to ream it to 18mm.
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 22:38:33 »
When i did mine i used the hacksaw and cut a groove in both of the old bushes(top to bottom), and then used a drift to knock them out.
On refitting new bushes to the 280sl there is no reaming required,i put some rubber grease on the rubber and used some threaded bar with washers top and bottom to pull the bushes into position.
Eric

DavidBrough

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 09:32:30 »
Thanks guys, I'll try to make a puller and get the hacksaw out if that doesn't work.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:58 »
Hello David,
You do not require a puller to get them out,once you have split the old bushes they knock out very easily.
The threaded rod is to pull in the new bushes.
Eric

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 17:38:31 »
Thanks Eric, once I got the hacksaw going they came out very easily.