Author Topic: Drain radiator and block for long term storage?  (Read 4294 times)

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Drain radiator and block for long term storage?
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:03 »
My 230sl is not running and will be out of action indefinitely. I want to minimise internal corrosion of the cylinder head and ancillary pipes & fittings. I see that some of the pipes, the one running into the thermo time switch housing for example, are already corroded internally, but I don't know if that corrosion is old or is occurring right now. It currently has one year old antifreeze in it. Might I be better off draining all the fluid out for long term storage? I presume everything would dry out reasonably quickly, weeks to months. I know that will expose everything inside to oxygen but my guess is it would slow corrosion compared to being filled with fluid. I'd appreciate opinions and advice. Thanks.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Drain radiator and block for long term storage?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 00:55:38 »
Hello Dave,

Engine coolant turns acidic after a few years. Unless you intend on changing the engine coolant and running the engine every few years, I would just drain the engine coolant. Corrosion in the water ways of a drained engine should be minimal.

I would be more concerned that evaporated fuel varnish and/or moisture will gum up your injection pump, your electric fuel pump and your fuel tank. Draining the fuel and squirting a little lubricant into the fuel gallery of the injection pump may keep things free. Adding some fuel stabilizer to the fuel in the tank will help, or just drain the fuel. Squirt a little lubricant into the intake of the electric fuel pump.   
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Drain radiator and block for long term storage?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:11:30 »
Thank you Joe,
I already squirted some light oil into the IP intake while turning the motor over, on the advice of a diesel injection shop. I will treat the fuel pump in the same way.
Dave
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190