Author Topic: Hubcap switch from chrome to stainless  (Read 16945 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Hubcap switch from chrome to stainless
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 20:27:52 »
Well, at the risk of introducing some "big words" and causing some to rush to the dictionary (or a handy metallurgical reference  ;D) there are three basic classifications of stainless steel based upon crystalline structure: Austentetic, Ferritic, and Martensitic.  There are those big words, sorry!

Most stainless we know of, with grades such as 304, 305, 316, or 18/8, 18/10 or what have you, are all in the Austentetic class and are generally not magnetic.  I say "generally" because there are some uncommon sub-classes that might exhibit slight magnetic attraction.  The last two classifications are magnetic.

They all have different corrosion properties; magnetic properties, machinability, hardness, etc. are are chosen by application.  For example, if a fabricated product is to be welded, one might choose a low-carbon stainless.  If it were for marine use, another.  If a certain post fabrication processing were required, yet another.   I bought a lot of stainless steel products and fasteners when I was in the car wash industry, and nearly everything was 304 grade; some more expensive stuff was 316.  The other grades were not part of fabricated products I encountered.

William has the best low-tech way of telling: weight.  The plain steel ones are heavier.  Also, to me chrome has a yellowier appearance than SS, so side by side I can usually tell them apart just by color.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:26:32 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bernd

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 13:18:02 »
Agreed on the weight issue.
My steel ones weighed in at 700gm, the stainless ones around 630gm. Would be tough to feel if you are somewhere without a scale, or have nothing to compare against. That was exactly what I posted. Anyone else care to put my weight result to the test? I would love to hear if I am at least close. Interesting how the stainless issue does come up in various areas. Remember our thread on bolts?

Looking at them side by side since I do have both...don't agree that they are really that different in hue, but maybe I am just colorblind. I just don't see it IF the stainless is polished well.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 14:22:53 »
Bernd,

Remember, there are [at least] three kinds of SS wheel covers.

1)  Aftermarket, "illegal" ones.  No longer available.  On the right in the photo.  Polished but not highly so.
2)  Current replacements--jewel like in finish, highly polished, heavier gauge than 1).  With the MB hologram on the back.  On the left in the photo.
3)  NOS or OEM SS hubcabs.  I don't have any of these.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 14:26:52 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bernd

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 03:53:49 »
Do you or anyone have a pic of the hologram? Would be interested in seeing what it looks like. The SS ones I have don't have it. Not too worried though as I polished whatever I have to a high sheen and they do look good, AND because I have the original caps that don't have to worry about road rash or exposure to oxidizing conditions.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:04 »
Bernd,

My car is out having the door repaired and will be back next week...I'll send you a photo of the hologram if nobody posts one before then.

I don't know for certain (Dave Gallon would probably know) but at a certain point in recent history, MB started putting this hologram label (just a tiny little thing) on its official MB branded parts to help customers distinguish from the aftermarket.  So, only wheel covers of recent vintage would have them.  Mine were all replaced about 3 years ago and all had the holograms on them.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Dahlknudsen

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 20:00:05 »
They changed august 1969 - Wheel covers polished to satin

if thats what you ment?

according to this:
http://www.silverstarrestorations.com/113SL.htm

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 11:50:33 »
That looks like a verbatim copy out of the Laurence Meredith book?

I've never seen "satin" wheel covers, but just different grades of polish depending on condition (new vs well worn) or material (chrome/stainless).
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid