Author Topic: Small Cam Chain Slipper  (Read 3644 times)

DavidBrough

Small Cam Chain Slipper
« on: April 04, 2010, 18:01:46 »
Why does everything seem to be so simple when you take it apart and so confusing to put back together. I now have another anomaly with the books in that my parts list shows the small chain slipper to be fitted long end down but the Haynes manual at Fig 1.8 on page 28 shows it long end up. I've offered it up both ways and it seems to fit better down as per the parts list, does anyone know if this or the Haynes manual is correct?

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
Re: Small Cam Chain Slipper
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 21:27:26 »
Long end down.  The Haynes picture is more a parts diagram.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:18:19 »
Thanks Chuck, I thought it should be but it's very confusing when diagrams are not accurate.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:59:24 »
Quote from: DavidBrough
.../.. another anomaly with the books in that my parts list shows the small chain slipper to be fitted long end down but the Haynes manual at Fig 1.8 on page 28 shows it long end up .../...does anyone know if this or the Haynes manual is correct?
David and Forum,
IMHO, the Haynes for our M-B:s of the sixties have skull and crossbones warning to them...

Mercedes has an extensive range of technical literature for the older cars available to us enthusiasts.    In principle it can be ordered via your local dealer,
but also direct from the Classic Center in Germany or the US.

The web listing of what is available can be found here:
http://www.mercedes-benz-classic.com/content/classic/mpc/mpc_classic_website/en/mpc_home/mbc/home/shop/classic_literature.html
Then click "More about technical literature"

In the wiki on our Forum here there is a link that gets you to the same place at Mercedes, then click "online web-shop"

With the choice to download a .pdf  you can pick all the different Mercedes DVD, books, leaflets, CD-ROM etc.

For specific details like torque values and much more, I suggest the Tech Data books (book of tables) edition 1966 or 1969,
depending on when your car was built. These are most useful    :)

/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:32:07 by mbzse »
/Hans S