Author Topic: MB-Tex Vinyl--Any difference Over the years?  (Read 5770 times)

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
MB-Tex Vinyl--Any difference Over the years?
« on: April 18, 2010, 21:05:27 »
Gentlemen.......

I would appreciate some advice regarding the quality of MB-Tx vinyl over the years.  We had a 79 MB 300TD with the MB-Tex upholstery and it was tough as nails.  It seems to me that the MB-Tex vinyl  in newer Benz cars is much softer and thinner, which makes me wonder about it's durability.  Just my impression by feeling of it.

Anyway...........I would like to reupholster my two bucket seats iin my off-road Toyota Land Cruiser with tough as nails MB-Tex vinyl.  I'm hoping a re-upholster shop can order the material (in bulk) to do the job for me.  So my questions are.... (1) Is the MB-Tex vinyl the same (durability wise) for the years between 1975 and now?; (2) If, in fact, the older MB-Tex is really the most durable, is it still available by year of manufacture, and what year should I specify when I place the order?

Being an off-road machine, and out in the dust/grime, I'm not interested in how soft the MB-Tex material is.  All I want is toughness, durability, and something that can be cleaned with soap/water.

Thanks for your opinions.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
Re: MB-Tex Vinyl--Any difference Over the years?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:20 »
I have had several samples sent - none that measure up t the original.
I had an email conversation with Klaus herman Meyer (www.cabrio.de) - their response was that it is no longer available.
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:29 »
Hello Don,

Although I am not too experiences with the MB-tex vinyl I doubt that it was always the same over the years - or better to say over the decades. At least teh colors and the grain changed somehow.
You already mentioned that the 79 300TD vinyl was softer or the one of younger Mercedesses.

I saw a nice sample of "MB-Tex material" with the correct 230/250 basket weave pattern at the Retroclassics in Stuttgart some weeks ago. But I don't know about the quality of the vinyl (Can provide you with the address if you like...).

Please check also with GAHH and let them know that you perhaps like to have the most durable MB-Tex like vinyl available.
Original MB 113 MB-Tex does also show wear with the years; maybe the 1979 (or upt 1983/1984) vinyl is even better than the material of the 113 period.

On the other side ... buy what you can get; usually you won't keep your Landcruiser for another 20 years ...

Just my 2 cents ...

Best,
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:20:39 »
Thank you Rick and Achim, for your comments.

I did send an E-Mail to GAHH, but so far.....no response from them.  Their site does show MB-Tex is available in bulk. So I will phone them and ask their opinions on what I should use.

One person on another forum suggested I use "marine vinyl".  I'm going to check that possibility out as well.

Achim, I'm one of those guys that falls in love with their vehicles and it is a real tear jerker to part with them.  I'll probably have my Cruiser until I can't climb into the driver's seat.

Thanks, guys............

Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder