Author Topic: Old world style front license plate  (Read 5339 times)

Jim Donati

Old world style front license plate
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:40:13 »
Can anyone give me some tips on where I can get an authentic (or authentic looking) Swiss, Italian, or German front license plate for my 1970 280SL? 

I have seen some web sites for reproduction plates, but I am uncertain on the quality and look of these and of course I would be proud to display the real deal if that is possible.   I have Family ancestry from Ticino, Switzerland and if possible, I would like an authentic license plate that came from that region.

I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks
Jim 

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Re: Old world style front license plate
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:50:13 »

Hi, there's plenty of sources on the net.  This place will make one (Swiss style) with what you specify on the plate:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/switzerland-251.html?zenid=cgsssuk9k4oj4rpu5o1fc5nb44

I'm not sure of the quality, but for the prices, I would hope they are like the originals.

And there are sources for used, orginal plates of all types, just Google for what you want.  I've seen some on eBay also and that's where I got my original black CA plates for my '66.  Yes, CA has seen fit to allow owners to apply a set of black plates to a car that has lost them. 

I hope this helps. 

Ron

1966 230SL, euro

Jim Donati

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:57:58 »
Ron:

I see we live in the same city of Arroyo Grande!  We should meet some day in the village to share notes.

Thanks for the information you have provided.

Jim Donati

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:04:51 »
Jim,

My front plate came from autoplates.com.  I bought it about 8 years ago, custom German that says 1969 280 SL.  The Germans who HAVE seen it, up close and personal, say it is not distinguisable from the real thing.  So, quality from these guys is exceedingly high--I don't think you could find any flaw.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 18:35:35 »
Ron:

I see we live in the same city of Arroyo Grande!  We should meet some day in the village to share notes.

Thanks for the information you have provided.

Jim Donati

Sorry to take this way off thread, but isn't it amazing how this International site can bring two owners together like this -- who come from the same small town! I encourage you guys to go have lunch or a beer or something -- its so cool to see other Pagodas up close (and on your own turf). Years ago, on the old Pagoda113 site, I discovered I had a Pagoda member a few miles away... In fact, we eventually discovered there were actually 5 or 6 Pagodas right here in Nevada City/Grass Valley. Over the years several of us have gathered -- shared info -- taken drives. This is the true Pagoda World in action.

Which reminds me, hey Dick -- how about lunch and a drive soon?

James
63 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 22:41:26 »
This is the true Pagoda World in action.

It's a recurring theme in the Pagoda Style book, all given different names such as camaraderie, brotherhood, etc.  At the risk of offending women--of which there are plenty that own Pagoda's, I've elected to call it the Pagoda Fellowship.

Anyone has any better ideas on naming it with a good catch-all name, let me know.  The situation is very real as Jim describes, and has been written about by many contributors.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 20:15:49 »

yes, we are going to hijack this thread, hi Jim.  I had heard of you via another ex Pagoda owner, Frank, who had his car for sale.  He referred to you, but didn't give your name.  Frank also is in Arroyo Grande.  (For those of you outside the area, AG is about 20,000 in population.)  So I'll PM Jim and maybe my car can at least get the 4 or so miles to the nearest coffee shop.  Ron

1966 230SL, euro

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 21:21:21 »
The entire Central Coast makes for great Pagoda driving. Prior to relocating to Northern Ca. in the late 90s, my car and I lived in Santa Barbara (me since 1960s -- car since the 70s) and I took several rides up that way. A few years back there were a couple of other SB County owners here -- have not heard much from them lately. It would be nice to have a substantial contingent from your region to help tie us and So. Cal together. Then we can start planning Pagoda University -- California Style!
James
63 230SL