Author Topic: TRANSMISSION WON'T ENGAGE ! PLEASE, HELP!!!  (Read 15982 times)

ioang26

TRANSMISSION WON'T ENGAGE ! PLEASE, HELP!!!
« on: April 11, 2010, 19:10:52 »
I am new to this forum and I have just purchased a 1966 Mercedes 230SL automatic.
When applying any gear nothing happens even in "P" .
The previous owner told me that the throttle has stuck once and then the automatic
fluid started leaking and since then the transmission doesn't engage at all.

What could be happened? Do I need to replace the whole transmission or is it a pressure issue?

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION AND HELP !
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

graphic66

Re: TRANSMISSION WON'T ENGAGE ! PLEASE, HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 20:43:49 »
Check the transmission fluid level with the dipstick at the rear of the engine on the right side. If you have no fluid, add some and see if it is leaking out and where. It could possibly be the transmission cooling lines at the bottom of the radiator leaking. If the fluid has all leaked out, fix the leak and refill it and see if the car will drive. It sounds like the fluid all leaked out and the transmission will not work without it. It is possible that if you fix the leak and fill it it could work. It is hard to diagnose with what little info you have given. Try adding fluid and see what happens. You add the fluid through the dipstick hole with a small funnel. You must use "hospital" clean techniques when dealing with the transmission. In the manual Mercedes claims you should wipe the dipstick with a clean piece of leather to avoid getting lint from a rag into the system. So, get a clean funnel and something lint free to wipe the dipstick, I use my fingers and wipe my fingers on the rag. You check the fluid with the car running in neutral at idle and hot. Use a high quality transmission fluid, synthetic is my choice. You will probably want to drain the transmission and replace the filter at some point. This is another whole job. For now, find and fix the leak and fill the tranny and go from there. Don't keep trying to get it to move until you have enough fluid in it, you can damage the transmission, if it isn't already.
     You also could just have a bad shift linkage bushing. If your shifter just "flops" around and feels ineffective it could be the little nylon bushings, one on the shifter and one on the transmission under the car. Search on this sight for "linkage bushing" or "shift linkage" you will probably find tons of stuff as this has been covered plenty of times. Just about every W113 made by now either needs them replaced or has had them replaced.
   You should go through the whole car and check all of your fluids, get out the owners manual and read the whole book, cover to cover. You will learn many things about your car in the manual. It is very detailed. There is a separate manual covering the automatic transmission.

ioang26

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:17:42 »
An update ...
I have checked the transmission fluid level and it is above the full mark even.
Checked the shifting linkage and works fine.Still there is no "P" or any other gears.
Any ideas? Can it be the torque converter or the selenoid?

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 13:28:28 »
Hello,

Sounds like a front transmission pump problem (not pumping at all).  Remove the transmission pan and see if any parts or metal is in the pan.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 18:53:07 »
What sticks out to me in the original post is that the mechanical park mechanism is not working. Possible rear axle failure? is the drive shaft turning and not moving the rear wheels?

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 23:58:06 »
I agree.  If you are saying that when to place the trans on P it does not lock the wheels, then I would suspect a broken shift linkage, or a blown U-joint or flex coupler in the drive shaft.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

ioang26

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 00:46:26 »
Another update...
Today just checked the selenoid. Turned the ignition on(engine not running) and i can see it trying to move but it won't, it just trembles and that's it.
I step on the gas pedal and the same thing .Seems like the selenoid receives electrical impulse but the rod would not let him move .
What could it be that? Am I testing it right?

What exactly does the selenoid and the diaphragm?

Also, about the putting the car in "P" - it will roll with efford ( 1-2 feet) down the driveway and then stops, then when switched to "N" it will roll fine.

Thanks!

ioang26

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 02:24:51 »
Today, drained the transmission fluid from the oil pan plug (about 2+ quarts) and when I was going to
drain the rest from the torque converter it was already gone. Looks like the converter is split into 2 parts and something is missing
between them. A seal?
Any ideas?

al_lieffring

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 02:59:32 »
the hub is attached to the converter with rivits. These rivits tend to work loose and leak. In your case it sounds like they came completely apart. If this is the case and you can find a rebuilt converter (it is actually a fluid coupling) problem solved. Do not wast your time installing a used converter, it WILL leak unless it has been rebuilt.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 04:30:21 »
Hello,

Most likely the original owner reacted to the stuck accelerator by heavy braking. Extreme pressure built up in the torque converter and it ruptured and split in two. The converter turns the front pump in the transmission. This can be damage by lack of fluid circulation. You will have to remove the transmission to replace the converter, at this time the broze bushing in the front pump should be closely inspected. The two drive "cogs" in the gear of the front pump should also be inspected to make sure they are still intact. Replace the front seal while it is out.

I have seen the older aluminum converters split in half when over stressed. Can you tell if your converter is aluminum or steel?
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

ioang26

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 14:17:04 »
Yes, sounds like it .
The converter is aluminum.

ioang26

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 14:12:28 »
Do you guys know of a good place for rebuilding torque converters?

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 23:11:35 »
Hello,

Look up Sun Valley Auto Recyclers they do a lot of these transmissions.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

ioang26

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 02:37:59 »
Well, I did but they want $1,500 plus shipping plus the core for the whole transmission rebuilt , which is fine.
But I need just the torque converter rebuilt and they would not do it.
Any advice?
Thanks!

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 06:04:31 »
How about just a good used converter. You can have it checked out, flushed out or rebuilt!  These are around.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

al_lieffring

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 14:48:44 »
I think you should consider going with the exchange transmission. Because you bought the car in it's current condition you do not know how well the transmission worked before the converter failed. This is a 40 year old car, you shouldn't take for granted that changing only the converter will fix it to your satisfaction.

Maybe it is just me, but any time I took out a major component like a transmission and didnt open it up for inspection, they never worked as well as I hoped they would, and had to come right back out again.