Author Topic: Rear Brake Proportioning Valve  (Read 4475 times)

DavidBrough

Rear Brake Proportioning Valve
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:48 »
Just wondering if anyone has successfully rebuilt the rear brake balancer as whilst mine still works I would like to clean it up and plate the bracket which seems to be part of the unit. If so, are the gaskets still obtainable and should any sealer be used when putting it back together. I know you're not supposed to take things like callipers apart so thought I would ask before mobilising the spanners and creating mayhem. I notice that SLS don't seem to stock new ones so also wonder if they are still available new/reconditioned if necessary?

graphic66

Re: Rear Brake Proportioning Valve
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 13:39:12 »
I completely disassembled mine and cleaned it up and painted it and put it back together. It is a very simple piston/spring assembly.  I used a shotgun cleaning brush on a drill to clean the bore and got new o-rings at the hardware. I just used gasket sealer between the parts. After installation it took some real hard brake pedal pressure to get the piton to let the brakes to bleed. It has worked great ever since. It is adjustable, I just put it back together exactly as it was. It is really easy to take apart and put back together, just keep everything oriented as it was.  I put it in my vise to hold it together as I took out the four allen head bolts as it is under some spring pressure.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 14:57:26 »
And I'm still desperately searching and still can't find one, which means I can't really get started on the axle swap.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

DavidBrough

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 17:07:21 »
Thanks Graphic it's good information and sorry you still can't find one James, I'd of thought there would be a few in breakers yards or with Roger Edwards but presumably you've tried these, still someone may pop up with one from this post.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 18:31:45 »
Hi David,

I've tried a post, but nothing (although a few useful alternatives have been suggested - I may have to look to these). I've got a marker down with all the breakers I know.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 18:58:46 »
Hello James,
With reference to your search for the Proportioning valve, have you thought of using one from another make of vehicle,i hesitate to suggest this as i am sure it will provoke negative comments from the purists, but the one that was fitted to the early Mini's would fit ,it would get you mobile while you continued your search for the correct item.
Eric