Author Topic: First oil change, some Qs  (Read 2975 times)

johnshenry

First oil change, some Qs
« on: May 03, 2010, 20:58:49 »
Changed the oil on my '69 280 last night, actually did not put new oil in yet.  When I was cleaning up, I noticed a rubber "washer" on the bottom of the old filter, I had neglected to put it in with the new one.  I looked in my BBB and it shows a "seal" on the top and the bottom of the filter element. 

I plan to take the housing off tonight and put the old one back on the bottom of the filter.  Don't remember seeing one on the top of the filter.  It does not have the later spring setup.

Does anyone know if these seals are correct/required for a '69 280?

Also, I drained the oil cooler and measured what I go out of the engine.  It is probably somewhere between 5 and 6 quarts.  I thought it was supposed to be nearly 7 quarts?

Where can I order new seals if I need them?  Also the rubber ring/seal for the bolt at the bottom of the housing?

TIA

JH

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: First oil change, some Qs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 21:14:50 »
John,

I think you're talking about the oft-missing short-piece-of-hose-type-filter that is oft missing from these cars. Anyway, a picture paints a thousand words. Here's Alfred Esser's superior explanation (there's a lot of great info to be found on the site - the new search engine is excellent; you'll learn tons):

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=2589.0

Mercedes Benz sell all the bits you need, as do others. Dan Carron (Benz Dr) sells service kits with all the right bits thus avoiding confusion at the dealers. Why not email him.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

johnshenry

Re: First oil change, some Qs
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 22:10:10 »
Excellent, exactly what I needed, thanks

JH
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:50:16 by Peter van Es »