Author Topic: How many left hand vs. right hand thread linkage sockets?  (Read 3184 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
I was going to order new throttle linkage sockets (I believe there are 6) but found out that there are both right and left hand threaded.   Being that I'm not around the car to check.... I wanted to see if someone knew offhand.    I noticed I had one that had a lot of play last time I looked and figured this would be a good time to order all.

thanks.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: How many left hand vs. right hand thread linkage sockets?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 21:10:53 »
There are six of the small sockets, two on each rod. So (in my naive engineers mind) I would guess an even split, three of each?
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:56 »
I have just replaced all my sockets and from memory there are more RH than LH,i will be going to my workshop tomorrow and will let you have the correct breakdown tomorrow night.
Eric

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:44:01 »
Jonny, thanks that was my initial guess though it looked like they might not be even.... Hoping to get the car in to Ted for some adjustments soon.

Eric.... I look forward to knowing....
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 19:44:01 »
Hello d,
On a 1968 280sl (with the large solenoid)there are a total of nine sockets,there are six right hand and three left hand.
Before you order new ones disconnect the socket from the one on the induction and check the ball for excessive wear,on mine the wear was very bad and i removed the ball and fitted a new one using the ones with the securing nut  that are fitted on the cross shaft, part number N 071803 008101.
This is also a good time to remove the pivot/lever that is located under the manifolds to lubricate and change the worn items
Eric