Author Topic: Ask what you can do for the Pagoda SL Group...  (Read 5706 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Ask what you can do for the Pagoda SL Group...
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:21:34 »
In 2011 a number of board positions are open and need to be filled. Additionally we look for people to help us out producing Pagoda World, Pagoda Notes, being membership secretary, organising events in the US, Europe and Australia, working on the Technical Manual and so on.

Lot's of knowledge of the cars not required. All you need to be is:
  • a full member
  • enthusiastic about contributing something to this group

If you might be interested, register that interest here. At the next board meeting (which is being planned as a telephone conference) we would want to invite you in to let you know what's going on. After that you can decide on your candidacy!

We need your help... we need people to be involved. Join in!

Peter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 14:30:50 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
Re: Ask what you can do for the Pagoda SL Group...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 14:29:38 »
[sarcasm=on]Well, this post has generated a lot of enthusiasm. That can't be right.[sarcasm=off]

In 2011 we must have new board elections. A number of people will be stepping down from the current board.

This also means that we will need new full members to step forward and to take up a board position.

The PUB in 2009 was a great success and was well organised by Joe and Mary Alexander with the help of the Board. If Joe Alexander will let us, I think that the group should step up to the plate and drive the organisation much more so that Joe and Mary have less to worry about. This does require good volunteers who should be board members.

Additionally, the European Event in 2010 was well received. A number of people indicated that they'd like to be involved with the organisation of an event in 2012 or thereabouts.

In 2013 the Pagoda will celebrate another hallmark year. Achim and I have started discussions with other Pagoda groups in Germany to see if we can organise something jointly. Our Australian members have decided to plan an event where they try to get over 50 Pagodas together.

Over the last few months a number of people have started talking about how we should move forward as a real group, more and more.  How we should be more involved in events.

Well, this is your chance. Step forward for a board position. Put yourself up for candidacy. I'd like to see Achim back on the board, for the 2013 event prep and discussions with the other Pagoda Groups.

I'd like to see one or two European members who can organise the 2012 European Event.

I'd like to see one or two Australian members, who can promote and push the Australian event.

And finally I'd like to see (at least) one additional person to help with a US based convention / PUB type event.

To be a board member, you must be a Full Member. As a group we now have 475 Full Members. Plenty of volunteers, I would say.

Talk to any of the current board members to see what the job entails, and contact me if you'd like to be a candidate.

Note that as a group we have a reasonable amount of funds. We can allocate some of these funds as seed money for the events if we are serious about becoming a more "real life"  as opposed to internet group. We will always be an active internet community (the number of messages about the recent outage indicated how important this site has become to many of us) but it is incredibly rewarding and fun to meet one another in real life. But other than virtual life, this does require organisation and board members. So please step up to the plate!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:39:19 »
Dear members,

we have at least three vacancies on the board, as Tom Sargeant, Bob Possel and Mike Hund have so far decided not to run for election again.

We do need more board members...

Peter

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 17:12:48 »
Any clarity of the trials and tribulations, time commitment and duties of a board member. It's a bit nebulous from where I am sitting and so volunteering someone could lose you a friend ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 18:52:52 »
.... so volunteering someone could lose you a friend ;)
James,
no need to volunteer someone else, you would make a superb addition to the board.
I would be delighted to nominate you .. in case you are too shy to d.i.y.  :)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 19:35:50 »
And Peter wonders why no-one sticks their head above the parapet ::)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:11:16 »
Hi Peter:
At PUB I mentioned about talking to you about the 2010 event in europe but I never heard from you.
And now I see some people went to the event. Too bad I might have helped out and went to the event.
Since Tom Sargent is stepping down I mentioned to Esser (At PUB last year)I would be interested when the time arrived but again never heard anything.
So if Tom is stepping down I am interested.
Also I would be interested in assisting in organizing events and whatever is needed to move the club to the next level in the US.
As you know ( from the past) the best way to reach me is at sandcrabtwo@yahoo.com.
Tom Mrowka
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 21:13:50 »
Dont know how you missed the European Event.  There were postings on the Forum at least weekly for nearly six months. and probably every day for the last three months prior to the event.  ??? ???
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Erik

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 19:41:42 »
Hello Peter, and other SL-friends,

I won't candidate as a member of the board but I really would like to co-organise the 2012 European Event, altough I realise it will be quite a challenge to meet the standards of the 2010 edition.

greetings,
Erik Van der Cruysse
Belgium