Author Topic: Fuel Tank Won't Drain  (Read 4154 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Fuel Tank Won't Drain
« on: April 29, 2010, 23:26:30 »
I am in the process of replacing and/or cleaning all the fuel screens and filters (to hopefully solve my periodic stalling problem).  I wanted to drain the fuel tank so disconnected the fuel feed to the pump and the gas just dribbled out.  I removed the fuel sender and found that the flower pot was empty but there was still about 3-4cm of fuel in the tank.  I removed the drain plug and screen and still the fuel does not drain.  I have used a coat hanger to try to unplug the drain hole into the flower pot with no luck.  I understand it is under the return line.  Something must be in the way that is not moving.  I've also tried from the flower pot side with also no luck.  Anyone have any idea how I can get the rest of the fuel out of the tank short of siphoning it out?  There is a lot of rust particles on the bottom which I can see so obviously needs a good cleaning.  Should I reline it or would a good cleaning suffice for the summer?  ??? ??? Thanks.
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
Re: Fuel Tank Won't Drain
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 00:17:03 »
I think you are on the right track in that the fill passageway into the flower pot is plugged up with crud.  If it's plugged, I suspect there is enough debris in the tank that you will have to remove it for a thorough cleaning, so I'd just dig right in and do that.  I had exactly the same problem with mine, and after a series of flushing with water, sloshing around, emptying, repeat, I got it pretty clean.  Then I dropped a length of chain into the tank and rattled that around for a while to scrape loose as much scale as possible.

But then I just put the tank back in the car and started using it.  This is obviously not a long term solution, but I figure it should be good for a season.  My goal has been to get an immobile car operational enough to fully assess it's condition and come up with a good long-term restoration plan.  I figure the prescription for the fuel tank will be either lining or replacement depending on the level of restoration I decide to do.

As you read through the posts on this topic, you will find many people recommending that the tank be sent out to a radiator shop to be professionally boiled clear, etc.  It's nearly impossible to do that in the US now, and the shops that will do it actually send the tanks to Canada for treatment, so there is a chance you might still be able to get it done where you are.

It also sounds like lining is tricky.  First, you need to be sure the lining material doesn't react e.g.melt the plastic flower pot.  That would be really bad.  Second, you need to be sure that you don't plug up the various apertures and lines into the tank, including the fill passage into the flower pot you have plugged up now.  There are post of people doing it successfully, but it sounded tricky enough that I opted to ignore the problem a little longer and put my cleaned tank back in the car.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:00:01 »
I am trying to remove the fuel tank and the only thing left to disconnect are the two metal vent(?) lines adjacent to the spout.  How do I disconnect these? ???  They both travel to the side of the trunk into a box on the side behind the rear right light.  Before I do anything rash I thought I would ask someone that has removed their tank.
Thanks.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 13:07:44 »
Hello,

Remove the cover over the filler tube in the trunk.  Eight or nine phillips screws hold it in place. The vent line connections are under the cover.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 19:02:39 »
Thanks all.  Joe I had already removed the cover but it looked like a solid metal line straight into the tank, with the last 7 or 8 cm covered in that felt type material.  Once I took the tension off the line (the tank was half hanging out) I could see the felt material was just a rubber section joining two metal tubes so I cut through the material/rubber.  Tank is now out.  Though expensive I am partial to putting in a new tank, just so I don't have to think about it again for another ten years.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 21:07:15 »
Jordan,

I don't know what the latest status was/is with K&K (regarding fit and quality) but they have a repro tank for $300 less; a call to Tim or Cheryl there and they'll give you the straight story.

Regardless of whether you get new or new/repro, I would hope you get more than 10 years out of it!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 18:48:40 »
If the car stays in regular use the tank will last a life time.  I keep my tank full all the time to prevent moisture from getting in and condensing.  Keep it full before putting away for the winter especially.  Full won't normally go bad in less than a year.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic