Author Topic: The Pagoda in the barn  (Read 80762 times)

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: The Pagoda in the barn
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2010, 15:09:36 »
Looks nice in the pics!

I have these rings for use on MB 14" wheels, specifically my 190 SL 14" driver wheels and tires.  Sure, they're not exactly the same as the ones on my 113, but they certainly work well, especially for the money.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-TRIM-RINGS-BEAUTY-RIMS-BANDS-CHROME-WHEELS-14-/220599540005?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item335cc1d925
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 17:32:00 »
Extremely sharp car, Bob!

Very well done!

One little thing I mentioned which confuses me.
The "230 SL"  trunk sign is located too high on the trunk lid. The correct location if the "Automatic" sign would have been below (this was an usual procedure for European delivery cars). But yours is a manual  ...
Very strange...
I'd keep it as is now (unless you wanted to respray the trunk lid).

Powder coating of rims is fine but you could overspray the outside of the rim with body color, which is original.

In summary: Great car.
Congratulations at all!

Best,
Achim
(Germany)

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2010, 18:19:46 »
That was a mystery to me too.  I've seen Euro cars with the Automatic designation underneath as well, but the data card for my car shows matching numbers on the manual transmission that's in the car.  Just one of those anomalies you find sometimes I guess.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2010, 18:52:30 »
Yes Bob,

That's funny. Perhaps one PO replaced the trunk lid (from another car) or re-drilled the holes from whatever weird reason...
On one of the first pics you posted (you were just hauling the white-green barn find) it is clearly visible that the car came to you already with the higher holes for the trunk sign.

One more thing I just realised when I enjoyed your fotos... ;)
The seat cushions of the seats should be exchanged left side - right side. The smooth area (bottoms) next to the perforated "basket weave" pipes has got an orientation for left and right side on each seat, which is original.
The side with the narrower bottoms goes towards the tunnel (in order to have some clearance towards the wooden tray) and the wider side towards the doors (there's enough free room).

I definitely like the color and the grain of your MB Tex. Very well done.

And one last thing...
How's the hardtop doing? Your car was originally white and you bought the car with a color matching hard top . Why not keeping (respraying) the HT in white (717) again in order to get a two-tone car?  You could basically spray it every color you like since your car was delivered without hardtop when new. IMHO white will look brilliant with the grey car.

Please forgive me for my nitpicking comments; I did not intend to annoy or offend you... It's just that I've developed an aficionado's and enthusiast's view to the details of our cars with the decades ... and these minor updates will certainly do justice to your extremely fine car.

Just my humble 2 cents …

Achim
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 18:58:50 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2010, 19:07:54 »
Never any offense Achim, I appreciate everyones comments, good or bad, although my upholsterer is not going to be happy when he learns he has to take the seats apart again!   :o

The hardtop was repainted along with the rest of the car, it's going to be my summer project putting it back together in time for Fall.  I also noticed on the data card it appeared to be hardtop delete, although the base of the hardtop shows the same stamp as the hood, soft-top cover, and transmission support -- 4607.  I wonder if the hardtop was left unpainted for some reason from new?
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

hauser

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2010, 19:37:21 »
As for the two-tone look, I really like the contrasting black that you have with the wheels.    ;D

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2010, 19:42:43 »
I did end up buying some trim rings this weekend (thanks for the lead John!) and will paint the center cap areas black.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2010, 21:00:36 »
Wow, congrats on a masterpiece, Bob!     I'd say that worked out well  ;D
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

717-113

« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2010, 23:05:13 »
hey John,
Are those hubcaps a nice smooth con-cave like the OEM's? or they more angled/squarish? The cheap repo's I've seen don't have a nice smooth curve like the originals