Author Topic: Firewall Pad Installation  (Read 4172 times)

n/a

Firewall Pad Installation
« on: March 16, 2004, 16:35:06 »

Question to all you adhesive Guru's out there:

I am getting ready to install a new firewall pad and my question is what is the best glue to use to make sure it stays stuck on the firewall.

I have some 3M spray adhesive is this sufficient? Or do I need something stronger?

Thanks,
Christian

66 230 SL
Black 040/RedInterior 122
113 042 12 014 243

graphic66

Re: Firewall Pad Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 19:03:32 »
I used Weldwood Gel contact cement. I brushed on thick on both surfaces waited 15 minutes and then put the pad pieces on from the bottom to the top. You must get it positioned right the first time. Mine has stayed glued very nicely. I believe someone else posted using costruction adhesive succesfully and could reposition it easier if you put it on wrong. Mine did go on real nice though. I used the gel contact cement on the carpet and other places in the car and it has all held real good.

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 19:07:43 »
There was a post that suggested that thinning the horse hair packing will allow the new pad to fit more flush against the fire wall and less chance of it peeling back from heat.

Bob Geco

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 05:45:26 »
Hey Christian,
I too am in the process of installing a new firewall pad.
The USA suppliers don't have pre-cut pads for my RHD car. I bought the generic bulk MB firewall material from Tom Hanson at Caliber Motors, (It was very well priced) and had it shipped here.
Today I was in the garage making a template from the remains of the original pad.
Next I have to remove those remains and clean it before installing the new material.

Did you have to modify the pad and what did you use to cut the material? I ask because it is thick with a pitch layer in the middle.

Please post the results and what glue you used.

Thanks

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 11:55:57 »
I, too, need to replace my firewall pad, but I also need to paint my car and engine compartment (probably this next winter).
The issue is whether it is sensible to paint around a new pad or remove the remains of the old pad, paint, and then glue on a new one.
Can anyone provide a template to use if I choose to buy bulk material and cut out my own pad? My existing pad is really shot and would not come off in a single piece.
Joe

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 16:11:21 »
Christian,
  I used the 3M Spray adhesive several years ago and it is still holding so I guess it works.
Ted
1969 280SL