Author Topic: Ipod adapter  (Read 5797 times)

dixy2k

Ipod adapter
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:17:48 »
Would this cable fit a Becker Mexico Steroe cassette? Do Mexico's come with 8-pin or 7-pin aux in plug?
http://www.uneeksupply.com/servlet/the-1217/ALPINE-8-PIN-CABLE/Detail

thanks.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Ipod adapter
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:28:07 »
If you do a search under 'iPod interface' you will see data on the diffferent 5 pin (mono) and 7 pin (stereo) plugs that are suitable for the iPod adaptors
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 15:25:40 »
Hi--

I find these FM transmitters to be very effective. They can be used on any FM radio and moved between cars.

I have one in my R107 and one in my VW.

http://www.dinodirect.com/se-FM-transmitters/

Joe

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:00:18 »
Not sure if it will fit the Mexico. It is quite a bit different than mine -- mainly in that yours is a charger. Mine and others I've seen connected to Beckers have a female connector on one end and the round DIN on the other. I am thinking it is 7 pins. Then we use a male to male connector that plugs into the headphone jack on the Ipod, thus using the radio as amplifier and speaker(s). It doesn't do any charging. Yours seems almost the equivalent of a cigarette lighter charger for the Ipod? Does it have "sound" capability? 

Here are a couple shots of my setup. Its handy for music and -- if my eyes could handle it -- checking in here!

James
63 230SL

gimp

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:04:16 »
I just had a cable made up for my Becker Europe, it was straight forward and not to expensive.
I got a hold of Becker USA and e-mailed them what I had and what I wanted.
Within a couple of weeks they sent me the proper cable for $65 American.
I had tried the FM receiver and found that the cable was Superior.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:15:40 »
The schematic (for do it yourself) is here: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Ipod
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 15:33:28 »
Might consider having Becker USA install a connector in the face of the radio...small hole in the faceplate just slightly larger than 3.3 mm.

Faceplate hole can hardly be seen...car has been judged several times and no one has noticed the connection mod.

Can be used with iPod or any player having a 3.3mm earphone out: CD player, MP3, etc.

Plugging the male 3.3 end into the faceplate cuts off the radio tuner and passes the player sound to the amp and the speakers.

Becker supplies the male / male cable.

Neat solution with no wires or connectors hidden in the car interior.  Faceplates are available to restore to original if needed.

Or another solution: Becker can install an 3.3mm adapter fitted to the radio rear with a cable that can be placed into the glovebox or elsewhere if that is preferred.

Here's the modified faceplate. Look just to the left of the last AM button.

Richard M, NYC 
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

dixy2k

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:43 »
Thank you for all your answers.

This cable would be sweet if it can be made to fit Becker's 7-pin DIN receptacle.
It can also charge the ipod/iphone.
http://www.amazon.com/IC-KENW-IPod-Cable-Kenwood-Radios/dp/B001VV4M1U

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 15:21:26 »
That will never work as it attaches to the USB / accessory input of the iPod. That is digital.... digital signals, digital levels, etc. There's no way your old analog Becker would be able to do anything with that, even if the plug on the other side "looks"  like a 7-pin DIN plug. Just use the diagram I provided in an earlier post.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!