Author Topic: Grille Felt Pad.  (Read 5943 times)

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Grille Felt Pad.
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:23:35 »
As i was ordering the screws for the grille assy: from my local MB dealer i noticed that on the illustration that two felt strips are listed(they fit below the grille and front panel),as i do not have these fitted i ordered two,because i did not think they would be expensive i did not check the price.
I have just received the two items,they consist of two large blankets and the price is £72 plus tax.
As MB has a none return policy i have had to take delivery.
I think i have enough material to supply the Pagoda fleet with these felt strips.
If anyone wants to replace there felt strips please contact me with the size you require and i will send them to you.
I will pay the postage i just ask that you make a small donation to your local hospice.
Eric

jaymanek

Re: Grille Felt Pad.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:10:24 »
I am soon to take my grille off so Ill have some! Ill pm you my address.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 20:03:23 »
I have had several requests for the supply of felt,would you please indicate how much you require,if you have your steering column removed (as i have)you may want a section for this.(it fits between the steering column and instrument/dash assy:)you may have to dye it black but it will do the job.
Eric

jaymanek

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 17:22:59 »
Hi Eric,

I dont know how much I need as ive not yet removed the grille, so however much you think is enough to do the grille for me.

Thanks

Bernd

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 23:59:39 »
I think it quite is ridiculous to have to spend that kind of money for a couple of pieces of felt. I can remember that a similar felt is also under the automatic transmission shifter cover. That felt gasket is NLA, and if your felt is similar to that, then great: don't dye it but split it up big enough for these pieces! I would want a piece of that as well.

There are a few other places where black felt is needed, such as the forward wall of the softtop compartment, the steering wheel, around heater vents, etc.  The felt piece above the steering wheel is sown over and has a piece of plastic piping in it. I found a local fabric shop that had quite a selection of black felts that come quite close to the originals in most cases, so that was the route I went. The greyish felt is a bit different, so why dye something if you don't have to?

Just an FYI, and not meant as a criticism to those folks who are dead set on having "original' Mercedes supplied new black felt in certain areas where noone would ever look unless the car is taken back apart.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 10:53:33 »
To all the members that requested the felt, these were posted last sat: and should be with you early this week.
Bernd,if you want some let me have your address and the size that you require.
Eric

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 21:04:39 »
There is black felt glued to the under side of the dash wood trim on my '63 230SL.  It looked factory job to me.

jaymanek

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:54:20 »
received what looks like a generous amount! Thanks v much.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 12:32:11 »
Also received a generous amount thanks. I just need a picture of where exactly it goes on the grille :)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 20:26:28 »
Hello Gnu:
Have a look at the SLS parts site on the grille page and all will be revealed.
Eric

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 15:44:26 »
I cannot find the correct page on SLS site. Is it on the chrome parts page?
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 20:54:38 »
Page 88 chrome etc, item # 15
Eric