Author Topic: generator light for my 1970 280 SL glows dimly when car is running, but stopped.  (Read 8574 times)

Bob

I noted that the generator light glowed red (dimly, not "bright red") whenever the car was in gear but not moving (as whenever I stopped at a light).   As soon as any acceleration was applied, however, the light went out.   In "park" the generator light doesn't go on.   I noted that the light dimly lit up when the car was put in "reverse".    The light never went on while I was moving or driving along.

The car seemed to function fine otherwise, and there was no problem starting it.    It did not stall or hiccup at any time, nor die.

Any ideas or suggestions to remedy this.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
I guess the alternator is not turning fast enough under these conditions and therefore not charging, but is ok at higher rpm.
Could it be an issue with pulley sizes or simply a loose belt?
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Hello,

Check the alternator belt first as mentioned.  The dim light could be a waning of alternator or regulator problems to come.  Take a voltage meter and check the voltage at the battery with the engine running.  It sould be around 13.5 to 14.25 on a good system. Next try it with the headlights on.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
It could also be the constant speed solenoid(?).  Do a search on that.  It's a device that is supposed to be activated to keep the idle up when a load is put on the engine (put in gear on automatic trans, turn on A/C, etc.).
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Rodd is back!!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Rodd is back!!

I noticed that too! Hey Rodd..

Hey Bob. Mine experiences the very same symptoms on occasion. Been doing it for years. I have had my alternator checked and my belt is fairly taut. I cannot say for sure the belt is "too loose" or "too tight" because I just use my finger and it has about a 3/8 or 1/2 inch play if I tug it? I agree it could be the result of the CSS -- not sure how to tell that. My CSS works and keeps up the idle but may be a bit worn out.

Mine shows the red light on initial start-up -- then goes away upon first throttle. Then it will re-appear sometimes at a stop light or when putting into gear. I notice it comes on dimly after a long hard run. Really don't blame it -- darn car is almost 50!

James
63 230SL

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
Clean the connections where the wiring harness attaches to the alternator.

al_lieffring

On a 280sl with air conditioning, the alternator does not drive directly off the crank pulley, The A/C belts need to be checked for tightness too.

If you have checked everything under the hood and the light still comes on, check terminal 30 on the headlight switch. This it the main power bus for the electrical system. The wires can corrode and cause enough voltage dorp to make the alternator light to come on. Some times the terminal on the light switch will be charred and require replacement of the switch.

simonadot

hello, i just experienced this today and the car went dead while driving, as I turned the key and no battery what so ever??? doe s that mean i need a new alternator????? I assume I do , because the battery is one week old and it starts with a jump.. can it be some other issue.
does anyone know a good honest machanic that can work on a 250sl in the los angeles area???