Author Topic: wind shield wipers  (Read 5398 times)

tradjim

wind shield wipers
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:04:45 »
Just drove my car 1967 230 on my first long trip - nyc/ lake george ny 240 miles drove great only problem i had was when it started raining the wipers didnt work . I have since applied rain x but would still like working wipers . Does anyone know if they are on a seperate fuse - I hope - or it may be a bigger problem that i will get fixed when i drive it home this fall

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: wind shield wipers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:39:39 »
Windshield wipers are on Fuse #2 with the Cigar Lighter and Horn. If these work, the fuse is OK.

The wipers are tied into the Ignition Key. Wipers will not work unless the key is turned on.

Problem areas could be Multi Function Switch, wiper shafts "frozen", Wiper Motor.

The wipers are moved by inner arms which have articulating angles...maybe jambed from corrosion.

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 15:51:38 »
Could be the wiper relay also located on the left inner fender under the hood.

tradjim

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 15:10:33 »
The horn works so its not the fuse might be that relay - Thanks Guys

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 20:07:32 »
Hello Jim,

Please make also sure that your wiper linkage is not seized. A common problem is that wiper shafts ar often rusted if those haven't been used for many years. In that case you need to free up the shafts first.
I don't think that the remainder of the linkage (which is hidden under the dash) gets stuck since the joints are plastic-guided.

Good luck!

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

George Des

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 13:55:53 »
Richard,

I see where your 280SL is an Italian model. Mine is as well. These were very sought after cars in the mid-70's when I was stationed in Italy. The Italians were selling them because of the high price of gas and the high road taxes that they had to pay on them. The American military was a lucrative market since we were able to buy gas coupons at the PX where the price of gas was about what we were paying in the States. We pretty much knew most of the Americans in the Vicenza/Verona area that owned them. I recall seeing two in Vicenza that looked like yours. Once was owned by Col. Jere Hickman and the other by Maj Oscar Lewis.

George Desiderio
1967 MB 230SL w/ZF 5-Speed (Italian model)