Author Topic: Panel join: rear fender and back panel  (Read 3588 times)

280sl1968

Panel join: rear fender and back panel
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:21 »
Beneath the rear bumper, at the seam that curves downwards near the corner of the car where the rear fender meets the back panel, is there supposed to be a gap of any kind? Is the seam supposed to be completely filled in/close panel fit such that you couldn't even pass a thin piece of paper through it?

Thanks

David

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Re: Panel join: rear fender and back panel
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 21:41:08 »
If you are undertaking the replacement of your fender and rear panel you will have an interesting experience.
At the position where you are querying both fender and rear panel should be very close together and from the outside you should not be able to push anything through.
It took a considerable amount of time to get this correct before welding,when i was happy with the fit i welded it on the inside/underneath(fused the two panels together at the edge).welding from the rear/underneath ensures that water cannot get between the panels,i applied seam sealer over the weld followed by 3m sealer.
From the outside you still see the join but you cannot get a piece of paper in the joint.
To complete the seam on the outside a bead of seam sealer was forced into the gap and then using my finger i ran it down the seam this fully seals it and you can still see the seam.
Eric

dseretakis

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 00:41:23 »
Do you know if the seam was originally brazed?

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:50 »
When i repllaced my rear fender and back panel (it was origional) all welds were spot welds.
A well known restorer here in the UK welds the panel from the outside(it is difficult to get you mig nozzle into the area) and then useing a grinder with a thin disc grinds in a channel.
I did consider brazing from the outside but decided it better to weld on the inside so keeping the weather away from the seam.
Eric