Author Topic: Pertronix Install  (Read 3987 times)

n/a

Pertronix Install
« on: March 25, 2004, 03:39:14 »
Hi,
 I am installing the Pertronix Ignitor in my 70 sl with the Transistor Coil lgnition.  The instructions don't make sense.  It says to have the black wire attach to negative terminal of the primary side of the coil and the red wire attach to the ballast resistor that attaches to the positive terminal of the coil.

What do you do with the original green wire that went to the points?  This wire needs to be grounded to get any current flowing from the TCI.  Besides that I don't see why putting the Pertronix wires in parallel with the primary side of the coil would fire it.  I seems like it should be hooked up in series do it.

The other problem is it says that the minimum resistance for the coil + ballast resistor is 3 ohms.  Well mine is about 1 ohm.  I guess it is more than just changing out my points, I either have to add some more resistance or change out the coil also.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Kevin

n/a

Re: Pertronix Install
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 16:52:57 »
Hi Kevin,
I'm assuming that the "transistor coil ignition" you have includes the Bosch blue colored coil.  If so, it is not recommended that you use this coil with the Pertronix Ignitor.

I recently tried to install the pertronix on my car and I could not get it to perform properly.  I finally gave up, re-installed my old system, and returned the pertronix.

The only person I know who has installed pertronix with good results in a transistorized ignition system is Tom Sargeant.  Perhaps he can lend a hand.

Good luck, and please let me know if you succeed.
Don
71 280sl
Cleveland
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 16:54:16 by n/a »

n/a

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 17:40:22 »
Thanks for the replies I have received.  I did call Pertronix and here is what he said to do and it has worked.

If the Transistor Coil Ignition module is still good it will be used.  

1.  The wire that goes from the terminal block (#7) to the old points and condensor, remove this wire (green).  Hook up the Ignitor black wire to the terminal (#7).  This will trigger the TCI.

2.  The Ignitor red wire will be attached to a 12 volt source.  So it gets attached to the input side of the .6 ohm ballast resistor (#2).

The Ignitor unit itself is grounded through the screws in the distributor.  These instructions are only for the using the TCI unit.

I guess if your TCI unit is bad or you have an earlier version without the TCI you would hook up the Ignitor across the coil as shown in the instructions.  It seem to work OK I still have to time it correctly and road test it.  Don't know if I will have time to do that since I am leaving o a couple week trip.

Other than the question it was pretty easy to install.

Thanks again for the help.
Kevin

I am trying to attach a picture but it will not allow me to for some reason.

n/a

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 22:22:59 »
Kevin,
Let us know how it performs through out the rev range. Hope it works out well.

Take Care,
Steve

n/a

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 10:33:40 »
Hi Kevin,
This is very fascinating.  Please post how the car performs at various speeds under load.
Thanks,
Don

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Keller

Thanks for the replies I have received.  I did call Pertronix and here is what he said to do and it has worked.

If the Transistor Coil Ignition module is still good it will be used.  

1.  The wire that goes from the terminal block (#7) to the old points and condensor, remove this wire (green).  Hook up the Ignitor black wire to the terminal (#7).  This will trigger the TCI.

2.  The Ignitor red wire will be attached to a 12 volt source.  So it gets attached to the input side of the .6 ohm ballast resistor (#2).

The Ignitor unit itself is grounded through the screws in the distributor.  These instructions are only for the using the TCI unit.

I guess if your TCI unit is bad or you have an earlier version without the TCI you would hook up the Ignitor across the coil as shown in the instructions.  It seem to work OK I still have to time it correctly and road test it.  Don't know if I will have time to do that since I am leaving o a couple week trip.

Other than the question it was pretty easy to install.

Thanks again for the help.
Kevin

I am trying to attach a picture but it will not allow me to for some reason.