Author Topic: Rear bearings change  (Read 4105 times)

VincentR

Rear bearings change
« on: February 25, 2011, 13:40:55 »
Dear All,

I intend to change my rear wheel / side half shafts bearings on my 280 SL 1970.
I did not do that during the restoration because I was a little stressed in timing plan.
I have now purchased the two types of bearing kits (right and left) according to the OEM specifications (i.e.: Right and left bearing are not the same as alredy described on the forum and technical pages).
I was taking a look on the technical pages and I have one question : I red in the Haynes technical manual that to extract one of the 2 half shafts (i don't remenber if it is the left one or right one) it needs to be very carefull : the operator has to pull the shaft then turn a little bit (to unlock one internal cylinder or flat spring) and then to pull out completely the half shaft.
I have not seen this advice in the technical page of this forum.
Could you please confirm if I need to be carefull or do I have simply pull out the two half shafts with no difference and just in one movement (helped by one hand made tool fixed on the rear disc hub bolts)?
I need advices from somebody who has alreday done this operation on one 280SL.

Thank you in advance for your feed back.
Best regards.
VincentR

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: Rear bearings change
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 14:39:02 »
It is the right half shaft which needs the care. Not all have the circlip, my 1970 280SL does not have the circlip
and came out easily. I did this job recently and removed the back axle to do it, but it can be done in situ just
remember to align the axle half shaft housings when replacing the right half shaft. Replace both oil seals also.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

VincentR

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 15:49:25 »
Hi Gnuface,

Thank you for your information.
I will try to find the information on the presence of the circlip or not on mine (1970 also).
What do you meaned exactly by aligning the 2 half shafts housings? Do you mean : to make the half shafts both horizontal?
Thank you in advance for your feed back.

I intended to pinch one mark on the half shaft external big diameter end  and then one mark on the tube before to disassemble to then put it back at the exact same place.

I also intended to change all the seals and to put some polyurethane sealing in the case of the seal (to avoid oil to go through the external perimeter of the seal (as described in the technical sheet of this forum).

Thank you for the help you already provided.

Best regards.
Vincent R.
(25000 Besançon France about 50°F / If dry weather tomorow : W113 run.) ::)

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 19:05:07 »
Hi Vincent,
Yes the the half shafts have to be horizontal to insert the right half shaft.
Search on this site for 'rear axle' and 'wheel bearing' you will find plenty of info.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 21:05:18 »
There are two seals per side: one on the end plate and one inside the wheel tube. Replace both.

If you don't have the fancy tool to remove the bearings from the wheel shafts once the nut is undone, just take a thick and hard piece of wood, put it on the floor and bang the wheel shaft on it splines down. the bearing will come out.

If you have the clip on he right wheel shaft, once you put it back in place you will need to lift the wheel tube up to maximum so that the clip goes past the sliding sleeve in the joint. If not the shaft splines will be only partly engaged in the sleeve.

VincentR

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:31:26 »
Hi All,

Thank you very much for your information.
I already red the technical pages on the forum but my doubt was the way to be cautious as regards the clip inside the right half shaft. I've now your answers.
I think i will do this job durring next spring/summer during my holidays.
I will come back to you in due time.

Best regards.
Vincent R.