Author Topic: Replacing back glass in hardtop - reality check...  (Read 3035 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Replacing back glass in hardtop - reality check...
« on: November 27, 2012, 16:05:49 »
I am reassembling my hardtop.  I have a new gasket, the various pieces of metal, and of course the glass.  I also have a tube of 3M Bedding and Glazing compound.  I've lined everything up and I'm pretty sure what I need to do, but I'm not at all sure where and when I put in the bedding & glazing compound...

Steps (the way I see it)

1.  Put gasket on glass.   Use bedding & glazing compound in the channel where the glass goes.
2.  Hardtop right-side up.   Set glass/gasket in place and put rubber lip around the hardtop rim on upper rim and side rims.  (does this get glazing?)   (where?)
3.  snap the two L-shaped top/side rim trims in place with join clip in center.  Secure bottom of side pieces with small screw
4.  take the big trim piece that wraps around the bottom of the hardtop and fit the upper edge into the window gasket in the intended slot, fit the lower edge under the edge of the hardtop and secure with lots of tiny screws (from the bottom going up)

4. Alternative:   Take bottom edge of glass to bottom of hardtop, turn hardtop upside down and secure the trim in that direction...

Comments/suggestions/help?  I am pretty sure I have the parts in the correct order but I have no idea what/where gets glued.

On a related topic, when I put the hardtop back on the car, what prevents metal-to-metal contact for the rear of the hardtop (the area below the rear glass)?   I don't see a rubber gasket that goes here.  Am I missing something?

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

George Des

Re: Replacing back glass in hardtop - reality check...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 17:18:29 »
Scoot,

i believe Gernold's Hardtop instructions covers this. I did mine a few years back and followed his instructions. I don't recall exactly how I did it but I do not remember this being an issue. As far as the back of the hardtop to metal contact, there should be a big rubber seal that goes around the bottom of the hardtop. Hope this helps.

George

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Replacing back glass in hardtop - reality check...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:02:43 »
Scott,
just in case you haven't seen it here is Gernold's article:
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/HardTop
I don't think you need to put any sealer into the glass channel - provided you don't have a cheap aftermarket seal - only around the perimeter of the opening in the top and the bottom next to the vinyl/leather.
Also don't forget to close the hole in the bottom of the hard top as shown in this photo:
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/uploads/Tops/Escutcheon_seal.jpg
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)