Author Topic: starter issue  (Read 3051 times)

n/a

starter issue
« on: March 31, 2004, 15:47:53 »
Every once in a while, but only when the ambient temperature is cold, my starter will spin freely on the first try, not engaging and turning the engine.  After the first try, it seems to be okay. If it is very cold, this may (rarely) happen 2 times before it engages.

It seems to me that the solenoid is sticking.  If the ambient temperature is warm, the problem does not seem to occur.

Has anyone experienced this problem or heard of it from others?
Comments are welcome.
Regards,
Don

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: starter issue
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 17:14:50 »
Hello Don,
It is the starter drive free spinning. The fact that the starter spins at all is an indication that solenoid is ok. The solenoid contracts and makes the connection to the starter motor.
The "starter drive", sometimes called a bendex, is the drive gear and clutch which engages
the engine flywheel. It engages in one direction  and free spins in the other. It works like the rope pull start on your push mower.
This unit can begin slipping in both directions when it goes bad. Cold usually agrivates the problem. No immediate danger, they usually linger on for some time this way.
Most good automotive starter/alternator shops can replace the drive and rebuild the rest very economically. Ordering a Bosch factory rebuilt unit from a Authorized Bosch Distributor is another option. Bosch rebuilt units and new units can be ordered from Mercedes if cost is not an issue.
You can also order the part and fix it yourself, but it is nice to go through the whole starter while it is out.
What model W113? It is nice to use a later W113 starter which fits and has a lot more horsepower!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Bearcat

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 12:56:32 »
my 280SL starter motor started to give up recently. i nursed it to start by tapping a small hammer against the starter motor. i thought initially it was a sticking solenoid. i feared it was going to cost me big bucks. i nursed it to my local auto electro shop where in a day they whipped out the starter , re bushed it, replaced the solenoid and cost me 180 bucks....not bad as i thought i would be screwed cost wise. car is now perfect or so i thought after i filled it with petrol today. i have now a small leak at the weld joints on the tank that divides the top from the bottom. I think i can get a metal glue/ solution. it only leaks when it is above 3/4 full....any advice out there?

(i have spent over 7k in the last year getting this machine to the standard i want....it never ends!)

280SL 1970
white, auto, black leather as per the original data card

« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 12:58:39 by Bearcat »

n/a

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 17:10:22 »
hello don,
joe is right on the money,have the starter drive replaced,& whiile it's out check the brushes,there are cheep books out there to show you exactily how to do it. it's nice bench work & all you need is general tools & a multi meter from radio shack. go ahead---you will be proud of your self.
                                      vince g
                                      hoboken nj
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 17:13:47 by n/a »