Author Topic: Pacific Fuel Injection in San Francisco  (Read 12920 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Pacific Fuel Injection in San Francisco
« on: September 11, 2008, 15:45:38 »
Has anyone sent their fuel injection pump to Pacific Fuel injection lately?  What are they charging these days for a full rebuild?
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

enochbell

Re: Pacific Fuel Injection in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 09:54:06 »
I had my pump fixed and adjusted by Gus Pfister at Pacific about 10 years ago.  I brought him the pump one day when I had the need to visit San Francisco on business (I talked TSA into letting me carry the pump on board from Atlanta...no way I would ever get away with that post 9/11 !)  Gus is an amazing guy: honest and expert as in: if anyone knows more about bosch pumps I really don't know how it would be possible. He let me watch him go through the pump, replace a few parts from donor pumps of which he has hundreds in the shop (I had done the bone-headed move of removing the collar that attaches the throttle linkage, and put it back wrong causing bits and pieces to fly together/break off when I tried to start the car.  Don't do that, please).  It took him about 2 hours to repair, calibrate and bench test.  He charged me $250 which seemed like a remarkably fair price.  I would have paid that just to watch him work.
That's my experience anyway,

Best,
g

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:18:58 »
Gus is good, I've used him many times thru the years. The price however, is not good. Most of 2 grand for a complete rebuild!
kb

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:10:33 »
I think I'm about to need the services of Gus and Pacific Fuel Injection.  Please let me know if I am on the right track.  I have completely gone through my 71 SL and it runs strongly.  The only thing is the smelly exhaust  at idle after deceleration.  The CO reading at idle is between 7.6 to 8.0 percent.  and I cannot lean it out anymore.  Is it time to rebuild the pump?  Sam
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:19:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sam SL

I think I'm about to need the services of Gus and Pacific Fuel Injection.  Please let me know if I am on the right track.  I have completely gone through my 71 SL and it runs strongly.  The only thing is the smelly exhaust  at idle after deceleration.  The CO reading at idle is between 7.6 to 8.0 percent.  and I cannot lean it out anymore.  Is it time to rebuild the pump?  Sam

No, I would check for a leaky cold start valve first.

naj
68 280SL

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 13:33:32 »
Does anyone know how many hours are involved to R&R the fuel injection pump?  I'm only concerned about the time required to remove and replace, not to tune and calibrate at this point.  Thanks!
1971 280SL

Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 20:06:29 »
Nate,
with the correct tools one can pull the pump in about 45 minutes or less.

of course there are some short cuts that can make the job go quicker.

It really is not too bad of a job.  The worst part is having to lay on the garage floor and reach up between the suspension to remove the lower mounting bolt for the pump to the motor.

The biggest tip is to make sure the crank is turned to the correct installation position so when you are ready to re install the pump it just can be slid in.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 19:51:13 »
Matt,
Thanks for the pointers and advice.  I really appreciate the insight.
Nate

1971 280SL

Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Longtooth

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 01:37:11 »
In April 2000, Gus at Pacific did my '67 (250SL) Fuel pump -- complete rebuild and tune, including replacing some injectors (I forget how many), for $875... parts & labor.   I had work done thru a local (SJ, Hans Nissen Automotive --- now unfortunately out of business) MB only shop $75 of the $875 may have been for their remove/install labor and some mark-up at the time.

I'd guess same job today would cost more by approx. rate of inflation since then plus probable more scarcity of replacement parts?  At 3% average annual rate of inflation since 2000, the adder would be (to 2009) 1.3 times or in the range of $1000- $1100.... ball-park.