Author Topic: Auto Transmission Problem  (Read 4831 times)

jlennon3

Auto Transmission Problem
« on: April 06, 2004, 19:03:07 »
I experiencing a problem with my automatic transmission; not on my SL, but my 280SE sedan (108 chassis)with the K4C025 type transmission. I'd appreciate any suggestions. The transmission sat out of the car (in a dry garage) for over a year while I was rebuilding the engine, suspension, etc. Anyway the transmission will not shift out of 1st gear now, even if I run the car up to approx 20mph. I also have reverse gear. So far I've done the following checks: 1) confirmed shift linkage is properly set up 2) confirmed control pressure linkage is properly set up 3) checked the vacuum line from manifold is not blocked or leaking 4)replaced the vacuum "box" with new one 5) checked the kick down switch & solenoid for proper operation 6) confirmed I have working pressure 7) checked governor pressure; approx 10psi @ 20mph 8) checked modulating pressure; looks OK. I'm now thinking something internal to the transmission must have gotten "gummed up" from sitting so long unused... Anyone have any ideas???

Jeff Collins

Re: Auto Transmission Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 05:12:32 »
I have a simular problem,I hope some one will give you an answer or an idea on where to start.Car has been setting for several years has the identical symptems you have posted.

68 250 sl auto/ac
86 944 Porsche
96 K35 t/d 4w
99 ultramax
2000 fatboy pro

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 07:06:58 »
My 113 sat for approx. 6,5 months without action. I had it out of the car, removed it from the engine and bolted it onto another engine, and put the whole assembly back in. Last week I started driving again, and the transmission operates like nothing ever happened, perfectly. I replaced all of the fluid (naturally), but did not touch the filter.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

jlennon3

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 18:50:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by jlennon3

I experiencing a problem with my automatic transmission; not on my SL, but my 280SE sedan (108 chassis)with the K4C025 type transmission. I'd appreciate any suggestions. The transmission sat out of the car (in a dry garage) for over a year while I was rebuilding the engine, suspension, etc. Anyway the transmission will not shift out of 1st gear now, even if I run the car up to approx 20mph. I also have reverse gear. So far I've done the following checks: 1) confirmed shift linkage is properly set up 2) confirmed control pressure linkage is properly set up 3) checked the vacuum line from manifold is not blocked or leaking 4)replaced the vacuum "box" with new one 5) checked the kick down switch & solenoid for proper operation 6) confirmed I have working pressure 7) checked governor pressure; approx 10psi @ 20mph 8) checked modulating pressure; looks OK. I'm now thinking something internal to the transmission must have gotten "gummed up" from sitting so long unused... Anyone have any ideas???

jlennon3

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 18:53:07 »
I'm happy to say that my auto transmission is now shifting properly. It turns out problem was a sticking "shoft valve" in the valve body assembly. It cost approx $US300 for the repair; could have been worse though I suppose

quote:
Originally posted by jlennon3