Author Topic: Brake proportioning valve - Please!!  (Read 4171 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Brake proportioning valve - Please!!
« on: February 04, 2011, 15:43:46 »
Hello,

My rebuild of the 3,46 rear axle has stalled somewhat over the Christmas/winter window as a result of the competing demands of work, family, and some comparatively unpleasant weather. I urgently need to get the ball rolling again if I’m to get the car ready for Spring, but the one part I don’t have – and that I really need – is the rear brake proportioning valve. So I’m a bit stuck!

I understand that I can get them brand new, but the cost exceeds my budget by some margin.

I wondered if anyone has a spare that they’re willing to part with, perhaps hanging underneath a donor car, and that I could buy? (For those that don’t know, in addition to changing from the 4,08 to the 3,46 I also need to switch from rear drum brakes to discs. To make the disc set up work, I need the proportioning valve. I understand – although stand to be corrected – that a standard valve was fitted to cars of this era that had discs).

I also know some kind fellow suggested a generic alternative - I just can't find that post. If anyone has used a non-MB part and can explain how to set up such a device.

Thanks.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

jacovdw

Re: Brake proportioning valve - Please!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 17:21:41 »
James,

Just out of curiosity, which version of the brake master cylinder do have currently installed in your pagoda.

The reason I ask, is due to the difference between the master cylinders used on cars with drum brakes and those with disc brakes.

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 22:06:10 »
The brake force regulator fitted on Pagodas is rated at 30kg. I have a spare one out of W108 250SE which is rated at 40kg. I'm saying this as you should pay attention to that if you get one out of another MB model. The figure is stamped on the big bolt at one of the ends.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:34:50 »
Hello James,
I did suggest several months ago that you could fit the valve that is fitted to the Mini of 60s and 70s vintage,it would get you mobile whilst still looking for the correct item.
Have you tried Mercman  phone # 01736757777.
Eric

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 19:29:24 »
Thanks for the replies.

Jaco - I need to check. It's a fairly original 230, so I assume it's as original if not the original part. I'll get a photo. Would that help? I has a one-compartment reservoir.

GGR - many thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about the rating being stamped on the valve before. I assume that if the car was designed for a 30kg rating, one should attempt to achieve 30kg

Eric - yes, I recall now. Many thanks. Mercman has been looking for me for several months, alas to no avail. Further to the suggestion about using a part for another car, I have been directed to this type, also (see the link).

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=38&m=b

I've looked at the fitting instructions and am little cleared, but I assume this does the same job?!

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

jacovdw

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:51 »
A photo of the side where the brake lines connect would help James, thanks.

Most likely would be version 2 if it is still the original setup.