Author Topic: Exhaust System  (Read 5831 times)

KUMARB

Exhaust System
« on: January 25, 2011, 01:42:42 »
Could someone please help me with the installation of the exhaust system on 1971 280SL?

I bought a four piece ANSA exhaust system: (1) Header pipe, (2) Center Resonator, (3) connector pipes and (4) Rear muffler.

I bolted the header to the exhaust manifold. The other ends of the header are flared which do not fit into the flared ends of the resonator. I had to use another set of two straight 10 inches long connector pines to join header with the resonator. This was the first problem. The second problem arose when I assemble all the five pieces (which included an extra set of connector pipes to correct the first problem) together, the rear muffler would not line up with the car's muffler cavity. The rear muffler seems to be 15 degrees inclined with the cavity rather than parallel with the cavity. The pieces are not clamped yet, I planned to clamp them later after all the pieces are in place.

Do I have a mismatched piece (for example, wrong connector pipes) or there is a trick to installation?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:03:47 by KUMARB »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Exhaust System
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 20:44:01 »
Sounds to me like you did not receive the correct parts. When I installed my system a few years ago I certainly did not experience any problems like you are, basically all the pieces fitted right into place.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21:16 »
Early last week i received the front section of the exhaust system from MB for my LHD 280sl project (the the system from the front pipe  rearwards is relatively new although it is a pattern section).
When i bolted the pipe up to the exhaust manifold the other end will not align with the pipes to the centre box,if you draw an extended line down the centre of the balance section of this new pipe it would exit forward of the RH rear wheel.
It is obvious that the balance section has been wrongly welded at the factory.
I had the local MB parts manager come and have a look at it.Photographs were taken and sent to MBs head office in the UK. 
They passed them over to the classic centre who say the part is correct and should fit and they have sold 200 with no problem,they also gave a list of things to check IE Engine mountings,correct manifolds,rear pipes etc, all checked out correctly.
They are know deliberating what to do next(this is the third time i have had a major problem with new parts incorrectly manufactured by MB and each time they initially use the excuse that it is a 40 year old car and the patterns/dies are worn,only later they have to concede that it is a subcontracted part and a new batch is being produced,this usually includes a price hike).
If anyone is considering purchasing this part for a LHD vehicle make sure it is the correct shape before parting with any cash 
Eric

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 15:29:31 »
Hello,

My first suspicion would be that the "Ansa" brand exhaust may have some issues. Getting any clamp up system to install without issues is unusual but possible, as with Cees. At the factory the systems were welded at every connection except where the flanges are at the manifolds. Suspension load, condition of motor mounts and sub-frame mounts will all play a role in the final clearances of the exhaust parts under the car. It is a difficult and time consuming process to do it so no issues arise at the end.

The process I use is to first check to make sure the engine motor mounts and sub-frame mounts have not failed. Raise the car of the ground with the suspension "loaded" (weight of the car on the wheels).  install all exhaust parts temporarily, using supports to hold components in exact position. Check hanger alignment, rubber bup stop at rear muffler, position of chrome tail pipes in relation to bumper and horizontalness, check clearance of rear muffler to the rear body panel, and rear fender bottom,  check the clearances of the system at the rear suspension and  points under the car.  When everything is in position, I tack weld all the connections. Next I disconnect the system as a unit and  drop it down far enough to solid weld every joint. Next, I bolt it back up into place. I also use a liberal amount of silicone seal at the flange connection along with  new metal seal rings. The silicone seal act as a lubricant and allows the bolt connection to slide together nicely and improves the seal. Make sure to use new self locking nuts or you will be back under there again in the near future.

As you can see, with a clamp-up installation, you do ot have a lot of margin for error. But as Cees indicates a good fitting clamp-up installation is possible. I would also suggest using silicone seal at the clamp connections in this case. Position the clamps just at the end of the slots in the tubes.

A poor fitting exhaust, will rattle, bump and cause a host of vibrations and noises that will plague you for years.  A good fitting exhaust will greatly improve the drive quality of the car. Take your time and do it right.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 15:33:11 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

dseretakis

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 15:48:04 »
Does anyone have experience with how well a Timevalve SS exhaust fits on a pagoda?

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 16:00:30 »
Miy Timevalve SS system fit perfectly on my 230 SL.

Exellent people to do business with.

Norm
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 18:31:21 »
I have installed a lot of timevalve systems without any issues It is quite a bit less expensive than orig MB also. The exact exhaust tone is a bit different with this system but not enough to matter to most owners. The time valve system can be clamped or welded. You can also get solid stainless steel clamps from them.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

dseretakis

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 19:39:51 »
That's good to know. The reason I ask is because I installed a Timevalve exhaust on a 450SEL and it was a poor fit. Luckily I lived close enough to the factory so I just drove there and they custom fitted it to my car on the spot. Incredible customer service I must say. Now that I no longer live nearby that would not be a viable option. It is good to know that their exhausts fit well as my 280 SL is coming due for a new one and TV will be my likely choice. 

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 21:08:12 »
The exact exhaust tone is a bit different with this system but not enough to matter to most owners.
Can you give us an idea of what the difference in sound between the Timevalve and MB systems is?
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 20:12:52 »
Iconic,
In my opinion the Timevalve on my car is louder and the tone is higher and a little harsher than the stock systems I have heard. When I first put it on I used to stuff an old sock in one tailpipe on long trips but after a few weeks it either quieted down or my hearing faded...or both.  When I got mine close to 10 years ago I bought it used from another member who took it off because it was too loud but I guess it has grown on me and I am fine with it now.

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 20:36:38 »
Thank you Shvegel !
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold