Author Topic: Windshield Replacement 280sl  (Read 3367 times)

richow

Windshield Replacement 280sl
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:51:42 »
I'm thinking about replacing the windshield on my '70 280sl as it has a couple of dings and is somewhat clouded, especially at the bottom. I'm not a complete purist, but I do want to have it done properly and look good. I contacted Safelite, a national chain that specializes in this kind of work, and am considering using them to do this job. Anyone have any thoughts on this...any pitfalls to look out for?  Thanks to all.

Mark in KS

Re: Windshield Replacement 280sl
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:07:55 »
I would check with a classic car company in your town.  Typically, Safelite has inexperienced employees that have never used the "string" technique to fit the gasket.  When I replaced my windshield 3 years ago, the local Safelite store said that they didn't want to do the installation if I supplied the glass.  I checked with a small family owned auto glass company and the first thing the owner said was, "take the wood out for me".  I knew he was experienced and only charged me $60.00 to install Sekurit glass I prepurchased.  Don't short cut the installation of the windshield.  Experience is everything.

Mark
1967 230SL