Author Topic: SPAM in Technical Manual  (Read 2995 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
SPAM in Technical Manual
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:45:15 »
We've had the first spammer in our Technical Manual. He was advertising car insurance... see the screen snapshot. The entry is now deleted. Currently some 60% of all new "Free"  members that sign up for the forum are signature spammers.. they add URL's to sites selling stuff in their signature in the hope that when people look at the memberlist or when they post, people click on the links.

When you see such a post, or spot such a member, please report them to the Moderator. The Moderators already do a lot to remove such members, and to ban them. Usually we are quick, catching them before they are able to do much damage. Today I have banned a couple of users, Richard has deleted a few, and I've deleted a thread started by one of them, to which a few of you had already replied.

Additionally I have produced software that automatically detects forum registrations of spam members who do not contribute, and to delete them.

I will look at our registration code again soon, and see if I can make it more difficult yet again.

Just be aware that we keep doing our best to keep this forum spam free, but occasionally we may miss something!

Please DO NOT post your e-mail address or telephone number in forum messages... use Private Messages to get in touch with other members, and then exchange e-mail addresses using that channel.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: SPAM in Technical Manual
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:52:20 »
Top work again Mods - in particular PvE

Thanks!

(of course, the Tech Manual could be protected best if it was only accessible to full members... ;) *)

* I know, discussion already had and the important thing is preservation of cars not ourselves!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 16:24:05 »
Thanks to the Moderators.

The behind the scenes work to keep this site operating correctly requires diligence and dedication.

And we members very much appreciate it.

Joe

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 18:36:05 »
Those guys will alwayss be around. They probably don't look at the site and simply hope someone responds to their crap.

I have all my contact info on the site and I don't see any more spam at my end than I ever have. My own filter catches 99% of everything that comers to me and I have the level set on high. So much so that I go to my spam folder and pick out real posts to me every other day and delete the rest.

No way of saying how much comes through this site. I can almost always tell if I have a tele marketer from a call center on the other end because they never say anything while the connection is made. I hang up right away if I don't hear Hello.

Welcome to the net.....
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC