Author Topic: Are the roads safe now for Pagodas in the New York Area after the rain we had?  (Read 5130 times)

dean

Can't wait to get my car out of hibernation!!
The weather looks promising this weekend with no rain in the forecast.
Is is too soon?  or is it safe now?

Would love to hear form the fellows  Pagoda owners in the Tri-State area and those that have to deal with salt on the roads in winter.

Thanks

Dean

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Dean, I too was thinking about taking a bit of a drive this weekend after all this rain.  Our forecast has since changed however, and we are now getting more snow, falling as I write this, and the trucks are already out again spreading beet juice and salt.  I try and take the car out a few times during the winter after a thaw and the roads are dry just so she doesn't feel neglected.  I have my doors back together so I was really itching to go for a good hard drive.  :)
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Rolf

Dean, The roads around here are fine. The salt seems to be all gone, no snow in the forecast, temperatures in the 50's. Just stay off Rt 20 in Paterson and some of the roads in the Passaic River area. There is still lots of water on them from the rain. Maybe a ride up the PIP would be nice. Just watch out for the potholes. They will swallow you up, along with your car.

Moderator addition   PIP: Palisades Interstate Parkway...a mostly through-the-woods highway from New Jersey to New York on top of the Palisades and alongside the Hudson River.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:39:24 by 280SL71 »

dean

Hi Rolf,

After a quick check of all fluids and tire pressure, took her on a 2 hr round trip up to Connecticut with no problems,  except the potholes:)

I was very happy that she came back from hibernation so well.  Looking forward to a bit warmer weather to put the top down.

Regards,

Dean

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Rolf,
   Why put your car into hibernation. I drive my car all winter long providing the roads are dry. During January and the begining of Febraury there were very few days when our roads were dry. The heavy rains last week washed away all of the salt and I believe it is great weather to get our cars out.
Happy motoring,
Ted
1969 280SL
PS: You do not have to go to New Jersey to find some good roads. The Hutchinson River Parkway, the Meritt Parkway, the Sprain or the Taconic can be great rides.

tradjim

I start the car about once a month and plan to take it out this weekend ... i think the weather will be good 60-70 in New York

Rolf

Ted,    As soon as I get it back from the shop(Having the car redone) I will take it out for some exercise. For short run, I go up the PIP and come down rt 9W. for a longer ride, I go south on I-287 and drive up through Sussex County.

Rolf

tradjim

Just drove the car down to rockaway beach here in queens ny the car ran great and its a beautiful day