Author Topic: My Upcoming Visit with Paul Bracq.  (Read 22744 times)

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
Re: My Upcoming Visit with Paul Bracq.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 18:31:10 »
49er,
Your glove box might not fit perfect, but everything else in the picture looks amazing super-sized, especially for a 42 year old original car.
I never noticed the 0, 1, and 2 position indicators on the ignition switch. I can't wait to check when I get home.
Hey, I believe my glove box fits better than yours (I'll check that too), would you be interested in trading cars.  ;D
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 00:23:33 »
And now back to the original topic: Paul Bracq

Michael ask him what he thinks about this: http://www.mbgrand600.com/Page230.html

Regards,

280SE Guy
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 00:34:16 »
I believe he may have designed that under commission from Karl Middlehauve or one of his clients.  M. Bracq sent me original photos of this car, as well as a 600 Cabriolet he designed that might be under construction, and was based on a 1965 concept.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

douglas dees

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 16:17:34 »
Your picture of your glove box has the same problem as mine. It protrudes on the left hand side
Doug Dees :)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 16:32:54 »
I can say this about that, in concert with the other thread going on (Faszination W113) about my visit to M. Bracq coming up in March.

I will, in the coming weeks, draft some ideas and concepts for discussion with the idea of first learning more about the man, and second, producing an article for The Star Magazine.  As I mentioned previously, when I am bicycling through Israel the week before, I will be thinking of things to ask; places to go and things to see with Mr. Bracq in Bordeaux...places like the Automobile Club of SW France where he designed the Facel-Vega bar, and the various public sculptures he has in the Aquitane region.  I will jot them down in my journal.

If he agrees to it, I will conduct some informal interviews.  I will have a camera with me, one capable of HD video. (astounding what they can cram into a little camera these days--it is a tiny Nikon S6000).  If I can "tape" the interviews, I will.  I will try to get an understanding of the processes and politics of the W113 project, among others important to me such as the BMW 3-Series.

There appears to be, amongst the devoted here, some varying schools of thought on various individuals contributions to this W113 project.  Some things are subject to discussion and interpretation, of course.  Some things are facts.  One of the facts is that Paul Bracq is an astoundingly talented artist.  His work crossed over to sculpture and what is called industrial design.  Until he was hired by Karl Wilfert, there was no such artisitic talent noted at DBAG; he was the first and that's why he was hired.  Others whose names come up with our beloved Pagoda (and others of the era) were engineers.  Nearly every rendering of the Pagoda from the archives is signed by Bracq.  After DBAG, he went on to other industrial design projects and to BMW.  He labored on nice, relevant, but uninspired interiors for the final 20 years of his career at Peugeot; few interiors ever get noted as "stunning designs".  During this time his creative energies were spent painting and sculpting as this is what artists do.  Today, retired, he works 7 hours each day in his studio, painting and sculpting.  His wife Alice is a talented and gifted artist as well, concentrating mostly in paintings and portraits.  The genes were passed on: son Boris is a busy industrial designer in Bordeux, and daughter Isabelle is a fashion designer for Armani in Milan.  I have amassed a large historical perspective of his work from throughout his career that he has shared with me.  A print of his rendering of the first new generation S-Class (a Bruno Sacco design) hangs in my family room; I did this as a defiant action to his comment in a recent interview that people don't have pictures of cars in their living rooms!  Ha!  I do! (Color matches the tile fireplace so it was OK with the wife.  ;))

Is, or was he a bit more "flamboyant" than say, Friedrich Geiger?  Of course.  But what's the point?  Are there many flamboyant (assuming that is the correct adjective) engineers?  Those known for automotive styling, and industrial styling, are welll known for being a bit flamboyant.  Think Raymond Loewy; he's been dead for more than 20 years, and he still has a website!  Think Norman BelGeddes, and Buckminster Fuller.  In the automotive design arena, you don't get more flamboyant than Bill Mitchell and Harley Earl; you would not know their names if they were not.

Anyway, it is quite interesting all the online and offline things and questions and related that people are sending me.  All I can say is I'll take everything under advisement.  It would be a bit bold and assuming of me to think I would unveil, 50+ years later, any really new, revealing, or other information--but I'll certainly try to get a new perspective on things.  I do hope to enjoy my time with Mr. Bracq, see all the things he tells me about, and finally meet the man who was at least, part of a team that styled what I think are some of the most beautiful and timeless automobiles of all time.  I feel quite fortunate that he is "still with us" and that I will have this opportunity.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 19:52:02 »
Michael. I know you aregoing to be under lot of pressure with this interview with Paul Bracq. Can I send you his book and do you think he world sign it.  I t would be nice if he could get a pack to sign to send with each copy of the W113 Pagoda book you are doing.

Sincerely your friend in California
Bob & Sharon Geco

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 20:16:46 »
Sorry Bob--under a lot of pressure to keep weight down on my trip...remember I'll be bicycling in Israel for a week, then on to Germany/Austria and I will be very space and weight limited on the airline and bike trips.  I need to bring a LOT of stuff for the ride and ensure I can carry it all by myself on the rest of the journey...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

joelj

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 16:11:24 »
I can't wait to read your stories Michael. Im sure you'll have a great time with Paul.

cheers,

Joel

Tom Colitt

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 05:30:36 »
Hi Michael

I would really like to know if he has access to anybody who has photos of the 113 assembly lines, etc. We really have never seen much in that regard....

Have a great trip, Tom

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011, 18:38:40 »
Tom,

I will ask him, but I think that question is best asked to the archivist at Daimler.  I have access to some people there and will raise the question soon.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 23:18:19 »
Hi Michael

I would really like to know if he has access to anybody who has photos of the 113 assembly lines, etc. We really have never seen much in that regard....

Have a great trip, Tom

Not the best quality picture for sure but this is from the US brochure for the 250SL

john
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 03:34:12 »
Michael,
before you can pass through airport security you must finish this test: who is who?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:37:14 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 16:56:10 »
Michael,
before you can pass through airport security you must finish this test: who is who?  ;)

The young one with hair, dark hair, on the right, is Bracq.  The rest are old dead guys. :'(
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 12:03:45 »
Everyone,

Yes, I have been out of touch for a while.  Despite the fact that you can walk into nearly any restaurant (that values customers, that is) in the USA; every Panera and Starbucks (that covers all the intersections not covered by CVS or Walgreens) and most hotels and get unfettered, easy and generally free internet access--the same is NOT true in Europe.  Due to terrorist regulations, unregistered access is illegal.  When I found access it was locked, or so costly as to be laughable prior to you crying.  I had no time prior to departure to investigate 3G data coverage for the iPad.  I came close when in Israel, as the Cell provider there provides a reasonable microSIM chip with unlimited 30 day access for a reasonable fee, problem is it is easier to find HERE in the USA then in Israel.  The few free places I found in Europe and Israel had cumbersome access that even befuddled the amazing iPad I travelled with...but I digress.  I am happy to be home.

My visit with M. Paul Bracq and Mme. Alice Bracq was in a word, magical.  Exceeded even my wildest imaginations, of which I had plenty in the weeks leading up to it.  The information from these two most wonderful people was coming so fast, in a combination of English, French and German that my brain (of limited GHz and main memory) is still processing it.  To wit: sitting in his living room, surrounded by mountains of paintings (mostly of Mercedes), listening to Erik Satie (n.b., look up that name) on a CD and discussing the art of carrosserie was almost surreal.  Walking the streets of St. Emilion with M. and Mme; dining in their favorite bistro overlooking Bordeaux.  Can someone pinch me please?

Now, many have asked for details and photos.  Many reading this have no idea who I am, or who M. Bracq is.  So, if you want the scoop--send me a PM.  I'll create a distribution list and when I deal with all my responsibilities here and get down to putting it all down on paper with photos, I'll send out a link to access the story--but only to those who request it.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 12:14:11 »
I've been lucky enhough to stay in some very nice, and expensive hotels in Europe and often find that wifi is only available in the Lobby or other common areas and then at huge cost. Bizarre when Stabucks is free (with registration).

You're right to be annoyed
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 15:27:40 »
Michael, so glad to hear your trip and visit with the Bracq's was such a success. May I suggest, and of coarse it is entirely up to you, Joe and time, that if you are going to attend PUB11 that perhaps you may want to give a brief presentation to the group.  Alternatively, maybe you can regale us with your exploits during dinner if that is easier.  In any event I would be interested in details and photo's.
Cheers
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 14:26:47 »
Here are a couple of photos I took this past week in Bordeaux with Paul Bracq:

First is Paul standing in his studio.  Surrounded by paintings--some in progress--and his collection of toy cars.
Second is Paul at his taboret (place for paint supplies), along with his cat, "Lulu".  Notice the MBCA logo and information he has on the taboret.  He also has an American flag hanging in the studio.

I don't know if it is visible on the reduced quality photos, but on the left lapel of his sport jacket is a stitched blue thread.  It is more visible in the second photo.  This blue thread signifies he was awarded the National Order of Merit, a distinguished French award given to only a few.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordre_national_du_M%C3%A9rite  The award in Paul's case is for exemplary civilian service, specifically that for 22 years with Peugeot.  There is only one national award higher, and that commands a red thread. (that award is equivalent to our Congressional Medal of Honor) When he goes anywhere, this is sort of a calling card that tells people he is a man of some stature, and respect is given.  He is a national treasure.  However, he is a man of elegant dignity and that alone would suffice.  Further, he is well known in Bordeaux.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 14:29:35 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid