Author Topic: Fuel leak in the trunk!  (Read 5036 times)

blairwag

Fuel leak in the trunk!
« on: May 11, 2004, 07:47:53 »
My problems go from bad to worse. 1971 280SL.
Working on my colling leak problem, I noticed gas a fuel vapor smell. I tracked it down to the trunk. Sure enough, I have gasoline leaking into my trunk!

Apparently, there are 2 small/thin plastic lines that run from the gas filler neck to a recovery resevior (big black plastic box) mounted on the driver side of the trunk. This is part of the fuel vapor trapping and recucling system. BBB says this box can actually get partially filled with fuel when tank is full. Well, onme of these 2 lines has a small crack/hole/ And it's right near where the line meets the resevior.

The plastic is reinforced, where the leak is. I don't think I can patch the plastic, nor cover it up with a rummber tume to seal the leak. It looks like these tubes/lines are fused to the resevior.

Do I have to replace the while thing (resevior and 2 lines) as a unit?
Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a work around?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Fuel leak in the trunk!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:16:39 »
On my 230SL Euro, the lines are clamped to the resivoir.  Due to USA emmissions, the newer 280SL USA cars may have a different system than mine.  I would assume you should be able to replace just the lines.  Can you post a picture?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

George Davis

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 12:19:03 »
Tending toward cheapness myself, I wouldn't give up on patching it if the hole isn't too big.  Two-part epoxy might do it, or JB Weld.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 14:38:39 »
The plastic lines come with a new tank. 115-471-16-68.

tom in CA

blairwag

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 17:50:10 »
Here's a couple of pictures. I circled the location wit hthe hole. You'll see, it's a pretty tough place to patch up, without fear of it springing a leak soon after...

Download Attachment: closeup.jpg
59.34 KB

Download Attachment: fullview.jpg
47.52 KB

Download Attachment: backview.jpg
50.25 KB

--

k

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 19:35:11 »
For all with rusty trunks; I recommend using POR 15 restore kit; after wire brushing the rust, you use  a 3 step process that is all included in their $50 kit.

-marine degreaser
-chemical ethching
-POR 15 black gloss sealant

After doing this metal and rust is sealed and will remain rust free forever.  POR 15 is famous with US custom car restorers.

Also, recommend many replace the rubber grommet around trunk edge, as this is wear most leaks come from.

k

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 19:38:33 »

blairwag

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 21:23:42 »
Well, I was reluctant to attempt to repair, as it seems likely epoxy or other fix will leak in the near future. I prefer to fix things relatively permenantly. That's wny I'm waiting on a price for a replacement tank with line from Tom Hansen.

However, I did come up with a possible solution, that just might work. I severed the plastic line about 3 inches from the tank. Then I slipped a 6 inch piece of 1/4 inch diameter rubber tubing over the plastic line. I squished some gasoline tolerant gasket sealant all around the cracked area, then worked the rubber tubing up the plastic line until it totally covered the crack, and butted up against the tank. then I put some gasket sealant on the other end of the plastic line, which leads to the fuel tank, and forced it up the other side of the rubber tubing. I haven't decided whether to use clamps or not. Here's a picture of my possible fix:

Download Attachment: possiblefix.jpg
55.96 KB

--