Author Topic: rear light socket problem  (Read 4114 times)

wd

rear light socket problem
« on: June 05, 2011, 23:33:43 »
I couldn't find anything on this, probably due to not knowing how to properly describe, so...  

I am talking about the rear light assembly, this is on my coupe but almost the same as the sl.  I had the running light rear right side go out. On this car there are two of the little 4w bulbs.  One is the running light the other a parking corner light that is used to light the outside corner light when it is parked on the street.  So I went to change the running light buld and the two little copper blades that are "riveted" to the wire/platform at the white plastic piece snapped off.  The tiny rivet head was weak.  So I was thinking of just running a very small brass machine screw through the tiny hole  and resecure them  in that manner.  But, I was wondering if the little wire end with rivet is availabe  in order to do it properly or if anyone else has a suggestion.  Thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 00:42:03 by wd »

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: rear light socket problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:55:10 »
Hello wd,

Assuming that you have the early style taillights (the "all red" taillights) there is one "bulb holder" = taillight back housing for all bulbs which is made of zink-plated sheet metal.
Please see our wiki for the details:

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/TailLights

Once the copper contact points for the single bulbs "break" off, the only way is to "repair" that somehow or get another used (or NOS if you can find one) complete bulb holder assembly. It's mostly tricky to repair them but not impossible.
Unfortunately, no official spare parts have ever been available for the bulb holder assembly.

Basically the same problem applies to the bulb holder of the late style taillights.

Please make also sure that  the ground connection is in good working order, which is a brown wire coming out of the electrical 6-prong connector that is attached to the chassis. See also the wiki (link above) if you are unsure about the layout.
Bad ground gives you all kind of different weird blinking/fading effects of tail light, back-up light and turn signal light.

Good luck & keep us updated

Achim

(early style taillight collector - all garbage)
Achim
(Germany)

wd

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 00:14:51 »
Thanks for the communication.  yes it is the early style all red.  I try will get to it on my next weekend.  I have several ideas.  The actual copper contact blades did not break just the "rivet" head came off. My fault when removing the burnt bulb I pushed down too hard when turning.  The housing itself is like new, everything very nice amazing for it's age.  I will post on success or otherwise. 

wd

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:15:46 »
Well it is impossible to find a rivet as small as the one originally used to hold the wire and secure the copper blades.  I am sure they are out there at some electrical supply house but not easily found.  You could drill out the existing part to fit a slightly bigger rivet but... I found a very small brass machine screw that fit tightly through the rivet barrell that was still in place.  It took just a little turning with a screw driver to work it through and then the blades were secured on the opposite side with the tiny brass nut.  Actually looks pretty good and is very strong.  I was thinking I might do the other three remaining rivets to insure against breaking them off with my heavy handed bulb changing.