Author Topic: Sway Bar Bushes?  (Read 4562 times)

bowdie

• Junior Level
  • Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Sway Bar Bushes?
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:59:53 »
Hi,

I've noticed a knocking from the right front wing when i hit pot holes.  I can also hear the sound when i press on the wing.

Q.  Do you think this might be the sway bar bushes needing to be replaced?

If so, where can i buy replacement bushes (250sl)?

Many thanks,
Chris
1967 Medium Blue 250SL
1972 Gemini Blue 911T
1994 Black 993

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Sway Bar Bushes?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 13:30:28 »
How loud is the knocking?  When you say you hear it when you press the fender, is that massive bouncing up & down, or just weighing down the corner of the car?  When you hear the knock under that test, is it a click-click or a thunk-thunk?

If when you hit a pothole, the knocking is rapid, deep, and in groups of 3 or 4, you may have a blown shock absorber.  I've had that happen on Bilsteins.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

bowdie

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 13:37:42 »
Thanks for responding Ray - let me check it again tomorrow.
1967 Medium Blue 250SL
1972 Gemini Blue 911T
1994 Black 993

bowdie

• Junior Level
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:38:13 »
Hi Raymond,

How loud is the knocking?  
A> Not very loud, it feels like something is loose - more of a heavy rapid rattle.

When you say you hear it when you press the fender, is that massive bouncing up & down, or just weighing down the corner of the car?  
A> Pressing down the fender fairly hard with both hands - knocking comes at the base of the depression.

When you hear the knock under that test, is it a click-click or a thunk-thunk?
A> Its more of a thunk-thunk than a click-click (but again, its not so loud).

If when you hit a pothole, the knocking is rapid, deep, and in groups of 3 or 4, you may have a blown shock absorber.  I've had that happen on Bilsteins.
A> Generally rapid in groups of 3/4 but fast & ends in seconds, depending on the road surface.

Grateful for your thoughts.  I'll drop it in for a service soon & get it looked at but I just wanted a second opinion on what it might be so that i can have a worthwhile conversation with the mechanic.

Many thanks,
Chris.
1967 Medium Blue 250SL
1972 Gemini Blue 911T
1994 Black 993

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:39:54 »
Chris,
I forgot to ask if you can feel the vibration through the steering wheel continue after the pothole and while the knocking is happening.  If the top plug of the shock is blown out, the tire will bounce up and down wickedly with just the spring.  You'll feel it through the steering wheel.  It is difficult to see the top of the shock, but you may be able to see shock oil and dirt all down the shock barrel.  Compare how the noisy one looks to the good one.  Also, the pressure to push down the good side will be significantly greater than the loose side.  However, if the one is blown out, the other is probably just shot internally and not really doing too much dampening.

I assumed that you had looked at the long spacer bolts where the anti-sway bar bolts to the A arm.  If a nut was missing, or the rubber completely perished, it might exhibit those symptoms.  That would be easy to see.

Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

bowdie

• Junior Level
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:11 »
Thanks Raymond - I'll take a look tonight.  Yes, I can feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel.
Chris.
1967 Medium Blue 250SL
1972 Gemini Blue 911T
1994 Black 993

robert hagopian

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 19:55:54 »
Are thicker anti-sway front bars available and has anyone had any experience with these?