Author Topic: Spark plugs: Platinum resist vs Copper non-resist  (Read 3320 times)

blairwag

Spark plugs: Platinum resist vs Copper non-resist
« on: May 13, 2004, 12:55:52 »
What do you *THINK* is better? Which are you USING?

It appears Bosch makes all it's Platinum plugs with radio suppression resistance.

There is no W7DP
There is a W7DC
There is a WR7DP
There is a WR7DC

Bosch recomments W7DC first, for the 280SL, however, lists the WR7DC as a recommended alternative.

Which is best?  Why?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic

isofast

Re: Spark plugs: Platinum resist vs Copper non-resist
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 19:21:35 »
W7DC non resistor is best and it is what is correct for concours. Some local suppliers sell Bosch plugs made (and they are stamped India) in India.  Bosch is a world wide company. Millers sells W7DC stamped Germany and I dont know if it is just me but the burn is better looking on these GERMAN plugs.
Plats are no good for our Pagodas, Plats have a very thin small hot blue spark that tends to get blown out by the amount of fuel our cars spit at idle! The copper core W7DC provides a hotter juicy red spark that the old fuel injected kraut cars like. I like to gap them a little fat for a silky idle.
Just my two cents. Did you get Roberts number Blairwig?
Ernie

First Place AACA Show Winner 350SL July 2003
I love low mile Mercedes.
1969 280 4spd Papyrus White

blairwag

Re: Spark plugs: Platinum resist vs Copper non-resist
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 19:58:04 »
Hi Ernie,
Excellent description and explanation. Thanx for the scoop.
I decided, earlier today, to go with the non-restistive copper plugs. I'm going to set up the heat a little and use the W8DC plugs, as my lil red car burns some oil.

I never did get contact info for ole Bigbabbo, but I did get in touch with the Good Dr. He has the Beru wireset I'm looking for, and was willing to sell them to me at a reasonable price (I think). He was also most helpful, insightful, and generous with good advice!

I tell you all, I just can't imagine being a pogoda owner without this site and the contributor of this forum!  Thanx to all of you!

--
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic