Author Topic: Inner Door Sill Chrome Attachment  (Read 5476 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Inner Door Sill Chrome Attachment
« on: June 29, 2011, 15:39:51 »
I searched the forum for how the inner door sill chrome trim is attached and learned only that it is crimped onto the weld seam - NOT!

The inboard edge of the rubber or vinyl sill strip is slipped under the inner chrome trim and the outer edge of the vinyl strip is covered by the outer sill chrome trim which is screwed in place.  On the inboard side of the inner sill chrome trim, there is a slot, into which the edge of the carpet is inserted to hold the carpet in place.  Under the carpet are a row of screws running the length of the chrome trim.  THE CHROME TRIM IS NOT CRIMPED IN PLACE SO DON`T PRY ON IT TO GET IT OFF.  Remove the sill carpet to get access to the screws.  See the photograph.

I`m posting this to help other Pagoda novices like me who have embarked on a restoration project.  So far, it`s the only thing I`ve found that is not clearly addressed in the forum or Technical Manual.  At least, I couldn`t find it.  This forum is worth its weight in gold.

Tom Kizer

Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
Re: Inner Door Sill Chrome Attachment
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 17:01:20 »
Can you make an entry in the Technical Manual to make this easier for people to find?
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Witt

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 19:54:05 »
....very good point, it had me going for a while.....

cheers, Witt

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 22:13:02 »
you are S-000000000000000000 correct!-         my screws are rusted and won't come out. Tonight I am using my dental drill with a small round cutting disc to make a small cut in the aluminum screw points, and then I will remove the trim, and hopefully with visegrips, be able to remove the screws. The cuts I  make will be very thin. As thin as a screw slot. They will not be seen because the carpet hides the screws. I will be using stainless steel screws to re-install it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 22:15:17 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 22:29:31 »
Iconic, I`m new here and don`t know how to make an entry into the Technical Manual.  Also at this point, my confidence level that I won`t enter something stupid is too low.  Take a look at my folding top frame removal post if you don`t believe me.  Someone with more confidence is free to enter it if you wish.

rmmchl, I had the same rusted-screw problem.  I solved it by using a pair of needle nosed pliers holding a Phillips screwdriver tip (one of the one inch long inserts), and seating it into the rusted screw with a hammer.  That did two things.  It broke loose the rust in the hole and it provided a better interface between the screwdriver tip and the screw.  Using one of those little right angle rachet screwdriver handles with the tip, and forcing it to stay in the Phillips slots with a piece of wood, I was able to slowly back it out.  Space to manipulate a screwdriver is as big a problem as is the rusted screw.

Knowledge is power.  This is a very powerful Pagoda site.

Tom Kizer

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 22:51:30 »
There is now an entry in Tech Manual under Interior, Door Sill Entry Trim.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G
2005 MB A200
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Electric
2024 Volvo EX30 Electric

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 23:33:50 »
Tom,
Bless your little pea-pickin' heart.  I was stymied by this as well.  Thanks for your contribution to our forum.  That's what we're all about.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 23:37:05 »
yes!!!!               -I just completed the removal-The slots I made in the metal worked perfectly-Then the screws were already raised enough for the vise grips-------------Another problem to address----I have a power antenna cable, power cord to the antenna, and speaker wires that I really don't know how to channel back from under the left dash. They go all the way to the trunk. The main electrical harness is under one part of that molding. There is ample access space once it gets past the door.  The space under the molding is not large enough to accomodate these 3 cable/wires.    Before I had thick plush aftrermarket carpet that allowed me to I lay the cables down right along the channel I just removed. Now I have the factory loop carpet. If I hide them under the carpet, the carpet will hoove. any ideas???
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:04:13 »
Thanks, Garry, for making the Technical Manual entry.  I`ll study how to make limited, efficient entrys.

Raymond, I may live in Quebec, but your "pea pickin heart" comment reminded me that I was born and raised in Southeast Missouri, and that was one of my mother's sayings.

rmmchl, here's how my antenna cables are routed.  Like yours, you can see the main cable on the driver's side adjacent to the weld seam.  It fills the chrome trim cavity, as you said.  I would think that if you keep the antenna cables in the "grooves" of the corners, and pass them over the tunnel under the front "tray" support and under the driver's seat, you might be able to route them like mine is.  I have the loop carpet and never noticed the cables until I removed the carpets.  I hope this works for you.

Tom Kizer

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:36:51 »
Why not fit the cables under the right hand side cover?
Eric