Author Topic: Annoying Tail Lights  (Read 2940 times)

n/a

Annoying Tail Lights
« on: May 20, 2004, 15:43:05 »
I am having a problem with my right rear tail.  Well, more specifically, it functions perfectly during the day when the tail lights aren't on.  And when the tail lights are on, as long as I'm not pushing on the brake or anything, the tail light works fine.  The problem comes if I:

a) have the tail light on and push the brakes, the brake, reverse, signal lights come on, and all lights are dim.
b) have the tail light on and put it in reverse, same as the brake.
c) have the tail light on and signal, all lights are dim and flash.

Now, I would assume that I obviously have a place where all the wires are coming in contact with one another, but I don't know where that place could be.  I checked the connecter into the rear light assembly and it is fine.  I checked the light assembly itself, and it is fine.  All the bulbs work.  What other places could I check where all the wires come in contact with one another?  Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice.

Dan H

1965 230 SL Euro 4 speed (me)
2004 230 SLK Kompressor (my wife)

George Davis

Re: Annoying Tail Lights
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 15:52:14 »
Dan,

could be a bad ground.  Saab 900's are famous for this problem, the solution on them is to run an extra ground wire for the tail lights.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

Re: Annoying Tail Lights
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 16:54:43 »
George,

You hit it right on the money.  I ran a new ground to a bolt in the trunk and it works perfectly.  Thanks!

Dan H

1965 230 SL Euro 4 speed (me)
2004 230 SLK Kompressor (my wife)