Author Topic: air conditioning unit  (Read 3024 times)

n/a

air conditioning unit
« on: May 19, 2004, 01:02:42 »
Hi, I recently saw a 280sl with an aircon unit under the dash in the middle.  The brand was smiths.  Owner did not install it so could not help with any info.  Hoping someone out there might be aware of what the original brand would be and where I could find a reconditioned unit.  I am looking to find one for a 280sl  Cheers bill

n/a

Re: air conditioning unit
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 01:56:10 »
Bill

I don't know if this will be any help but I have a 1971 280SE 3.5 with dealer fitted air conditioning that sounds like the one you describe. It is a Smiths Model 649 underdash unit. It is about 45 cms across and has two round controls (fan and temperature) on the right hand side. I have the original manual and warranty cards as well. It looks like models 219 and 429 would also fit. These units were likely to have been around when your 280 SL was new. If you really want to go down the path of retro fitting air to your car, then you'll probably find a complete unit at a Mercedes wrecker as air conditioning was a commonly dealer fitted accessory to the sedans of that era.

Be aware that the early piston type compressors take a lot of power and you might want to update it to a rotary type.

My 1965 230 SL also has retro fitted air but this is a modern Sanden system installed by a previous owner about five years ago.

Regards

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD