Author Topic: Colour Code Confusion  (Read 3703 times)

Olazz

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Rabley Heath
Colour Code Confusion
« on: August 17, 2011, 14:14:10 »
My data card reads, 726H for paint code and 246 -  leather upholstery.
The leather upholstery in the car matches the colour that shows up on this wiki.

I am ordering a horn pad in the same colour and gave the code as 246. I have now been told that in fact code 246 is TURQUOISE and NOT Grey!.
Now for the confusion.  The base surround of my hard top (the part under the silver leavers) seems to be a faded shade of Turquoise and I had put this down to the hot So'Cal sun!

I cannot believe the car was ordered in Beige-Grey with Turquoise leather interior, unless the original owner was myopic! (one owner car, sadly deceased)
Can any one shed some light on this anomaly?

Reggie, you seem to have the same options, is your upholstery code 246? and is your hardtop base also Turquoise?

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Re: Colour Code Confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 14:33:38 »
Ollaz
Upholstery code 141, no sign of turquoise, anywhere - ever - not one bit no,  ::)
Any numbers stamped on the hard top ?
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 14:53:41 »
There is a nice 230SL in a neighboring town that appears to be 717 (papyrus white) with a turquoise-like interior. It too is a bit faded I think but definitely in the turquoise realm. Not a bad combo.
James
63 230SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 20:27:04 »
HI Olazz,

If your data card reads interior code 246 (grey leather according to our WIKI which I am quite confident is absolutely correct here), and that also matches your current interior - then this is correct.

It is not unlikely that the hardtop was switched during the preownership.
BTW, was your car sold with hardtop? Then it should read 5 or (most likely) 6 in the box 41 (i.e. code 415 or 416).

HT serial number must match "Aufbaunummer" on the datacard, otherwise it is from another car.

BTW (2), horn pad must be black (for deep dark grey steering wheel) or light ivory (for same colored steering wheel). Horn pad color has never anything to do with the interior color, only with the steering wheel color. Everything else is not correct and IMHO "pimp my car"

Good luck

Achim
(w/ black hardtop)
Achim
(Germany)

Olazz

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Rabley Heath
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 20:56:34 »
Thank you Achim.

My car was supplied new with a hard top and I am the second owner. The first owner never changed the hardtop as the numbers match.

What was confusing me was that I was told that 246 was Turquoise not Grey.... further compounded by the fact that my hardtop "seems" to have a turquoise base.

No problems, I have now decided to have the ivory wheel with Ivory horn pad,  and I will get the bae of the Hardtop matched to the 246 Grey leather