Author Topic: Headlight bulb holders?  (Read 3686 times)

Ollie

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Alberta, Red Deer
Headlight bulb holders?
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:56:11 »
This may be the wrong section to post this,  but any idea where I can find replacement for the crumbling/rusting to dust interior parts of our US headlights?
The reflector holders and bulb clips have now deteriorated to the point where patching them as I have done for the last few years has become impossible.
If anyone can offer help/suggestions it would be much appreciated.
I need them for an early 67 250SL delivered to Canada.

Thanks
Ferdinand

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Headlight bulb holders?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:03:01 »
The headlights are sealed beams on US cars.  Do you mean the parts below this, that hold the directionals?  Or, do you mean the adjuster assembly?  Or, the entire plastic/chrome assembly?

Regardless, officially they are not "separable" and thus don't carry separate part numbers.  Does not mean you cannot do surgery with a bunch of donors and put something together, if you found the right donors.  Sometimes people spend years accumulating this stuff to save buying new or good used.

The adjusters are/were a Mercedes part; thus check the Classic Center or dealer; also check our vendor list.

The entire assembly is called a "Headlight Door" and they are a Mercedes part; however many of them new are for sale on eBay and other places, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-W113-Headlight-Door-BOSCH-230SL-250SL-280-L-R-/130557120930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e65cf91a2

They generally run between $250--$300 each new.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Ollie

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Alberta, Red Deer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 15:48:13 »
Thanks for the help.
Yes, I meant the entire plastic chrome assy.
I have seen these ads on EBay,  but generally they seem to only be the door portion,  and not the "internals".
Has anyone bought from these EBay vendors?

Ferdinand

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 16:19:55 »
Unlikely you will find the internals, they are not available as separate items.

These are no longer made by Bosch, as Bosch sold that division years ago, and tooling etc. was moved to a new company in the Czech Republic.  That's where the new ones are made.  If you don't trust the suppliers it is a common dealer item, or use the trusted suppliers on our website.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid