Author Topic: searcing for an expert/mechanic.  (Read 3180 times)

n/a

searcing for an expert/mechanic.
« on: May 27, 2004, 21:49:53 »
Hello.

My name is Soren.  I am in the process of locating / looking at a 230-280SL. I965-69 (maybe '70).  I am just posting here to see of there are any mechanics/enthusiasts who might be available to take a look at a few cars n the SF/Oakland area...?

Any Bay Area experts you might recommend?  I am looking in the $8,000 to $12,000 range, so I understand I have to do a little hunting to find a good daily driver; one that I won't have to dump heaps of money into right away (though if I could, I would).  

Thanks again.
Soren.

I have another post on here of one of the cars and a question or two.  Thanks.

Douglas

Re: searcing for an expert/mechanic.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 22:14:13 »
Soren,

We just discussed this exact subject for a car in SF. Run a search to find the thread. As I recall, Roy Spencer's name was discussed as well as a few others.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

Longtooth

Re: searcing for an expert/mechanic.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 05:50:13 »
I recommend:

Jurgen Klockemann (408)985-8722
San Jose, CA 95128   

Call him and disuss what you want and what he'll charge to look-see with you.

I've also had some discussions with Roy Spencer...

Your price range seems a little on the low side to me though... a rare bargain might surface for $12K if you have tentacles thruout California/Oregon. For a daily driver you won't have to sink a lot of money into right away I'd be thinking closer to $15K - $18K... unless it's a total junker or salvage job from out-of-state.  Just my opinion.

Watch out for the 'apparent' California car... some of them are east coasters with rust covered with nice paint... brought into CA to register and sell here... premiums paid for CA cars (or Arizona) are for insurance against unseen and / or covered over rusted panels.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
95 SL500